Thursday, March 14, 2013

Once A Week Beans 3




This week, I did baked beans. I took 8 "servings" of pintos and soaked them overnight.





I've only made baked beans from scratch once before and they weren't great then. This time I threw the beans after being soaked and rinsed and precooked for about an hour into the crock pot with:


Some catsup
BBQ sauce
Brown sugar
Yellow Mustard - just a little
A wee bit of leftover pancake syrup
Pepper
About a half of an onion finely chopped
A little water

All amounts are to "looks right" standards


I set the crock on low and it cooked for about 8 hours all told. I did need to add more water at times. They were cooked, tender, and tasted like baked beans. I don't really like baked beans so they were okay to me. The Mr. said they were good, but needed more juice, goo, whatever. I should have added water one more time. I personally could have done without the onion and I LOVE onions, but it just didn't do it for me in the beans.






The kids weren't really on board, though, so my eight servings were barely dented into. My wonderful hubby will help us finish them off in the next couple of days. If not, I'll freeze them and put them in the next batch of chili.





Today's photo



8 comments:

  1. When I make them I make them in the oven, not the crock pot. Never even thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to do that, but I had to be out for a while yesterday and didn't think I'd have enough time. The crock pot worked well, but you have to keep an eye on the water.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I admire your ability to just throw so many different ingredients into a dish and come out with something so yummy!!! I would never have thought of adding some of these things, yet together it all sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you like 3 bean salad Ma? I know it would be a lot of work, but I think it would be a good way to use up some of your beans :)

    Found this:

    http://www.thekitchn.com/beautiful-beans-15-delicious-r-142106

    check out #15 for what boasts to be the best baked beans ever recipe...? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made 3 bean salad once for a church pitch in and it wasn't bad, not really my thing, though. I can totally see putting beans in the fresh salsa I plan to make this summer, though. I'm sure I'll still have beans left.

      Thanks for the link, too. Lots of ideas there!

      Delete
  4. Gee. I'm gonna have to try that one. Thanks for sharing. I did the chili thing the other night. Always a great default if you had to. And yeah...I got a hubby that will eat anything so I'm good there too. Lol

    Mrs White
    Http://bringingfurmanhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..