| Homemade tortillas...totally worth it. |
I hesitate to post each week on this. I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat wondering what I did with my beans, but for accountability (to myself) reasons, I'll jot a quick note about it regularly.
At Susan's suggestion, we did have burritos this weekend, yum! I cooked up 1/2 pound of small red beans and we used them on Saturday for chef salads and on Sunday for burritos. There are still a few left and I will try to lunch them early this week or freeze them and save for the next batch of chili.
Start count:
15 and 3/4 pounds of beans
Used after 2 weeks: 1 pound
Only 14 3/4 pounds to go.
Yummy.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool you make your own tortillas. I have yet to try it myself. One surprising way to use beans is in cakes. I made a vanilla cake with navy beans and it was so good...... Here's my recipe if you're interested. http://theurbanhomestaed.blogspot.com/2013/01/protein-packed-healthy-vanilla-bean.html
ReplyDeleteHope this helps!
I never eat tortillas. Never tried to make it! You may be proud to do it! Wow.
ReplyDeleteI could eat them all the time:)
DeleteWell hey, Ma! Liking your new look and blog name, "My Cup Runs Over", that's a great one!
ReplyDeleteOn the beans, that's a lot of beans but once a week'll make consuming pretty painless, I'll be watching for tips as I have a lot of beans too (in the freezer because I too have been 'saving' them for 'when I need 'em). :) matermuse
Hi Matermuse:)
DeleteYou could tell they were in my freezer, how observant;). I had a small incident with pantry moths and decided freezer was the way to go from now on. I do hope that the once a week thing will make it easier, too. They are a tough sell on the kiddos for some reason.
Thanks for the compliment on the name change too.
We do homemade tortillas here too and LOVE them. They are so much easier than people think. We love beans here so we use them a lot.
ReplyDeleteI wish we did love beans, too, but maybe they will grow on us. Is is just me or do they seem to have no flavor whatsoever? I know they need to be seasoned, but maybe I'm not doing it right.
Delete