Friday, March 8, 2013

Fels Naptha, Ivory, and other Homemade Detergent Things

I found it interesting that one of my most trafficked posts is this one in which I discuss my concern at finding out that Ivory soap flakes may not be too good for a septic system.




I did the homemade laundry soap thing for a while and discussed it here  then how I quit here




I was trying my best to buy earth friendly, hippie stuff but let's face it: life is expensive. Out of a tight budget one weekend I went with this:



Cheap- cha-ching!




It is better than homemade or hippie stuff? No. It is worse? No. Can I tell the difference? No.

Is it cheaper? It is most certainly cheaper than Seventh Generation or my ultimate favorite Meyer's Clean Day. Can I make homemade cheaper? I don't really think so, but I haven't crunched the numbers in a long time.



So for what it's worth, I find that my experiment with non consumerism as far as the laundry goes (and I was using non consumerism in a very non literal way I suppose since I had to BUY all the ingredients for the homemade stuff) is over.



Happy Laundering:)!



7 comments:

  1. I love making my own, there are so much I am allergic to.
    No problems with the stuff I make :)
    Happy Laundering:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee,

      That is a good point about the allergies. The reason I switched to dye/fragrance free stuff in the first place was due to my (then)infant son's dermatitis. At 11 years old he seems to have grown out of it, but if it comes back I'll have to reconsider.

      Delete
  2. Praise the Lord its gone :)
    I have horrible allergies :/
    How did your week go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Praise the Lord. I hope you are having a good week.

      Delete
  3. Well, at least more free time for you. I was reading about those laundry balls and that they don't work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I hear ya!
    Anything and everything that is supposed to be good for you always costs more. Go figure!

    The way I figure sometimes is that the generation before me was fine with it that I can be too. Lol
    Maybe not the greatest thinking but...so far, it seems that much before now was better and happier in so many ways. Lol

    Mrs White
    Http://bringingfurmanhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..