Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Books of Joshua and Jasher




I'm reading through the Bible right now about a chapter a day and came across this today:



12-13 The day God gave the Amorites up to Israel, Joshua spoke to God, with all Israel listening:
“Stop, Sun, over Gibeon;
Halt, Moon, over Aijalon Valley.”
And Sun stopped,
Moon stood stock still
Until he defeated his enemies.
13-14 (You can find this written in the Book of Jashar.) The sun stopped in its tracks in mid sky; just sat there all day. There’s never been a day like that before or since—God took orders from a human voice! Truly, God fought for Israel. (from Joshua 10)



This kind of thing used to alarm me with great alarm as it would add concern to the closed canon-ness of things. It is like Jude referring to the Book of Enoch. Why isn't the book of Jasher in the canon? Are we supposed to go read it? Is is one of those useful but not inspired books like the Apocrypha? Anyone read it?




15 comments:

  1. I have not pondered the idea of "the canon" in some time. Martin Luther did not like James' epistle and wanted to throw it out. Wonder if wanted other books in? Jefferson had a bible where all the supernatural stuff was cut out of it. Wonder what God thinks of the idea of "the canon"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder what God thinks of the idea of "the canon"?


      Whew! That's a big question. I knew that Luther didn't like James and I think he had an issue with Revelation as well (because of the judgement business)if I remember correctly. It does seem that every way of approaching the bible as it is today runs into an issue with one book or another.


      And I misspelled canon....I fixed it:)

      Delete
  2. I have read only one book of the apocrypha, Tobit. I have always questioned and wondered about the books chosen for the Bible, as there are ones out there that seem SO authentic. And I think maybe there are some books that SHOULD be in. BUT God has made it so there are enough books in the bible that tell us what we need to know, and that is how to love God and make Jesus our Lord and Master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God has made it so there are enough books in the bible that tell us what we need to know


      That's true Ginny

      Delete
  3. I think "useful but not inspired" is a good way of putting it. They are useful for historical reference, and a mix of mythology, but not real good at helping you understand your walk with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. I have read a bit of the apocrypha in the past as well, although I don't know a whole lot about it. We have the Dead Sea scroll stuff here at the house somewhere,too, but I have always been a bit afraid to look into that for some reason.

      Delete
  4. If God successfully orchestrated the parting of the red sea then He also was able to... and this is where faith keeps me sane. That isn't to say that the other books aren't useful and full of beauty, as are books full of the thoughts of Luther and Lewis and Piper and... Blessings my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. faith keeps me sane

      :) Maybe I should stop picking at it

      Delete
  5. Alice - I just finished Joshua too. Not be alarmed sister - the book of Jasher is also mentioned in 2 Sam.1:18 and is thought to be the same as the book called "Wars of the Lord" Num.21:14 (from the MacArthur study Bible) Most likely it was a compilation of Hebrew songs in honor of Israel's leaders and their victories in battle. We can have full assurance that everything God intended to be included in the Canon as inspired is there, and nothing was left behind. :)
    Have a blessed Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane:)I guess I never paid attention to how much other writings were mentioned. Happy Resurrection Day to you too!

      Delete
  6. I struggle Diane with the idea that "We can have full assurance that everything God intended to be included in the Canon as inspired is there, and nothing was left behind."

    It may be so but full assurance of such things requires me to accept the decisions (which books to include/exclude) made by fallible men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob - This subject plagued me too in my early Christian life and I found that an in depth study of Bibliology proved to be the most exciting and faith building in terms of combating those doubts about the completeness and or accuracy of the translation of God's Word. If you're interested - I posted a 5 part series on my blog called "BIBLIOLOGY: HOW WE GOT GOD'S AMAZING WORD!" It's located on the sidebar.

      Alice - that might of interest to you. - If we can't fully trust what God has placed in our hands to be complete and to be accurate, we are walking on very dangerous ground. But we aren't just whistling in the dark - God has given us many proofs to increase our confidence.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Diane. I read #3 in your series (the one about canonicity) and did not find comfort in it. Seems like a work like the Song of Solomon would probably not pass muster with regard to the characteristics endorsed by Geisler & Nix.

      Regarding combating doubts, I think that it is a good thing to examine ideas, like the canon, and not be afraid of where it will take you. I find that God often leads me when I ask questions and am open about the answers.

      Canon or not though, I am one who loves the bible and find life in the scriptures.

      Blessings, Bob

      Delete
    3. Diane- thanks for your input, I'll take some time to read the series today.

      Bob, I was once afraid to examine ideas. I got over the fear of being wrong and set off to see what is out there. I'm glad I did.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..