Monday, March 11, 2013

Castle Town







 



I was out with one of my sons on Saturday and when we drove past this church he said, "Look Mom, a castle!"



I said that it was a church building to which he replied that it was a castle church.



I found that he noticed so many more things that he doesn't usually. It was just him and me and he was able to sit in the front seat, which is usually reserved for the big kids. It was a very nice time.


I remember this church from my childhood as well. Once we stopped and ate a a Dairy Queen that used to be across the street. It was during a trip to the "big city".  Now I live just a few minutes from this site and drive by it all the time. It's weird how this big building made such an impression on me all those years ago and now is part of my regular scenery.


The nice old Dairy Queen building is gone. They tore it down and moved it a few feet south so that a big ol' Walgreen's could be right on the corner.


What are your favorite scenes from your corner of the world?






19 comments:

  1. Lovely church. I would much have a Dairy Queen rather than an ole Walgreens!

    Thank you for your encouraging words about the walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The Old Dairy Queen was very charming. I will be rooting for your walking and my exercising:) We can do it!

      Delete
  2. He is really right, it does look like a castle. It is maybe a Presbyterian or Episcopal or Catholic? Today you give me something to ponder...I have never really thought of favorite scenes around here. Down at the corner was an old convenience store and gas station...Hicks. Our son worked there in his mid teens. He once dropped a case of drinks and cut his leg which demanded an E.R. visit. Then Mr. Hicks retired and it is a Texaco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice memory (not about the ER visit:))

      I love the old gas stations that I see. There are a few here and there in the small towns around, mostly abandoned.

      That church is a United Church of Christ.

      Delete
  3. I remember many old churches growing up in NYC. Living in downtown Kansas City I also see a lot of cool old buildings. But I think my current favorite is the Center for the Performing Arts - picture at http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pBwaauiZkBE/Tf-Mc1mwfeI/AAAAAAAAAGY/QHw8TOxIrJk/s1600/Kauffman-Center-in-the-Evening.jpg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very impressive building. Have you ever been inside to an event?

      Delete
    2. Been to several events there Ma. It is beautiful. The architect who designed the Sidney Opera House designed it. Our downtown church has outgrown our building and is holding Easter services there this year. Should be a great day.

      Delete
    3. That should be some service:)

      Delete
  4. Here in Tennessee, I love much of downtown, my favorite are the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridges are very beautiful, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. There are some gorgeous old churches in downtown Detroit area...I've noticed that some of them are abandoned and boarded up, no longer being used.

    I remember when I was little seeing a very large cathedral and wanting to be part of that...and a few years later when we came to America they offered Christian education for us in public school...I was in the second grade. I went one time. It was given at a Catholic Church, an old cathedral that looked like a castle. I loved it. I told my dad all about it and how much I loved it. He realized that it was a Catholic Church and yanked me out pronto (he was 7th Day Adventist which teaches that the Catholic Church is the Great Whore of the earth). But I still remember how in awe I was of that castle, and how inspired I did feel, and how much I wanted to learn about God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and yanked me out pronto

      funny:)

      That church above is a UCC church, which I don't think usually is too froo froo, but this one is. I think some of the Mormon temples are just gorgeous, too.

      Delete
  6. O, I love de sint Servaas in Maastricht. Its an old church in the Netherlands. http://www.sintservaas.nl/english/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice. I like the rounded part that sticks out.

      Delete
  7. It does look like a castle. When growing up I was fascinated by what is called a Fachwerkhaus (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachwerkhaus). In my current corner of the world, I'd say it's the old train station (http://jennytakearide.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/100_1521-001.jpg). It's small and cute, and I wish I could hop on a train and go where ever I want. :-)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fachwerkaus is pretty. It reminds me of a German restaurant here in Indiana.

      The photo of the old train station says it's been re-purposed. What is it now?

      Delete
  8. My favourite scene (just not from my corner of the world) is an Island called Fraser Island, located in Queensland, Australia. It has crystal clear water and the whole island consists of sand (which makes it adventurous at best to cross).
    http://www.travelbrochures.org/wp-content/uploads/Fraser-Island-Australia.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day you'll have the opportunity to go there too. I can promise you it'll be a worthwhile experience.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..