I'm currently reading through the bible about a chapter a day; no study guide, no commentary, no agenda. I would really like to just see what it actually says.
Something stood out in Genesis 42 in my reading recently. After the whole deal with Joseph, and him going into Egypt, being given the second position and seeing his brothers once and requiring Benjamin be brought to him in order to release Simeon from jail, The brothers beg Jacob to let Benjamin go to which he replies:
“You have bereaved me: Joseph is no more, Simeon is no more, and you want to take Benjamin. All these things are against me.”
But Reuben steps in and says:
“Kill my two sons if I do not bring him back to you; put him in my hands, and I will bring him back to you.”
What a thought- Reuben giving up his own two sons in exchange for the loss of his father's sons. Was this an actual offer? Would Jacob have killed his own grandchildren if Benjamin hadn't been returned?
It seems that in the beginning of this whole deal, Reuben was the only one against killing/selling Joseph to begin with. He also may have been extra pained with guilt after this happened as well.
My heart went out to Reuben in this story. He just wanted things to be right again. A man laden down with guilt and sins trying to comfort his father.
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteI think Reuben wanted his dad to know how sincerely sorry he was about the whole situation, and that he was swearing on the lives of his children (often done, and people still say that today) to prove to his dad that he really meant it. :) It was like saying "If I don't do this, then God can take away from me what is most precious to me", so it was also something that made it so extreme that Reuben, not wanting to lose his children, would stay focused to completing the task he sets for himself.
I also have to wonder if maybe one or both of those kids were results of him sleeping with Jacob's concubine.
DeleteThe situation reminds me of a recurring theme in the Bible:
Delete"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
In this case I see Reuben putting himself in his father's place by saying "May it be unto me as it is unto you if I don't get Benjamin back", and I see it as a very serious statement, not one he is "kidding" with at all.
The concubine thing does possibly put a strange twist to the situation, hadn't considered it...
Good thoughts. I think that you are right about the doing unto others theme. I don't do that enough.
DeleteGreat observations Ma. Isn't it wonderful to just read God's word like this sometimes? Just for the pure and simple enjoyment of what is written without turning it into a big project.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I think that it is possible to read the passage in different ways, but I think that it is most natural to understand the passage in the following way: Reuben's vow wasn't serious, and Jacob had no interest in understanding it to be serious, but the vow expressed the depth of Reuben's feelings, and there was no other language that could do so, so deep were those feelings.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if any of Jacob's other sons had had sons by that time. Perhaps Reuben also felt guilty as a result of being a father himself; perhaps he was able to sympathize with his father in a way that his younger brothers could not, if indeed they didn't have children themselves.
Thanks for commenting everyone. I agree that it would be hard to take Reuben's offer literally.
ReplyDeleteThis verse from Micah also came to mind:
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, [or] with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn [for] my transgression, the fruit of my body [for] the sin of my soul? -Micah 6 verse 7
While I appreciate your love for the Word and your hunger for it, you really made me hungry by titling this "Reuben" and I couldn't really read it with a clear mind. All I could think about were Reuben sandwiches and how I haven't had one in a while, and how I'd really like one. :) I'm kidding...well, kind of!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean:)
DeleteI wonder Ma, what do any of us take so seriously today, that we would make Reuben's offer? I think about my commitments and wonder just how committed I am. A bit soul searching, isn't it. Thanks for making me look again.
ReplyDeleteI wonder, too. I also think of Japheth back in judges and his hasty offer which cost him his daughter. Scary stuff to think about.
DeleteJesus said not to take oaths at all, I agree that that is a good idea.
Reuben is definitely a mysterious character. He had a shady past, but yet you see him willing to take a hit for his family. Judah's character is just as complex. I did a Bible study called "The Patriarchs" by Beth Moore. It was fascinating when she puts the culture within the context. Good stuff!
ReplyDeleteThat does sound interesting Stacie, and the thing with Judah and Tamar crossed my mind as well. The culture was much different then it seems.
Delete