Monday, August 27, 2012

Family Movie Night Reviews- Because of Winn-Dixie

We try to set aside Saturday evenings with no guests, no computer, no video games and all sit down as a family to watch a movie together. We don't have cable or wish to subscribe to any kind of movie service, so we buy a DVD once in a while to add to our library. Some are keepers and some are not. Finding it very difficult to find info online about specific movies that fit our criteria, I thought I would start reviewing ours here, usually on Monday. Hopefully this will be of use to anyone looking to build their own family movie library.












This was another movie passed onto us by a friend, and I really liked this one.




A young girl and her preacher dad move to a small town. She doesn't have any friends, having left them all behind in their last move. At church one Sunday, she prays that God would send her a friend and then later meets up with a stray dog she names "Winn-Dixie".  The dog helps her to meet and connect with just about everyone in town. The people that she thought were unfriendly or mean, all had hurts and loneliness just like her. She becomes closer with her dad and learns about why her mother left them (this is a bit sad). It ends happily, not with all problems solved, but with the feeling that life goes on and we can choose to be happy in our circumstances with the support and love and acceptance of those around us.




It was rated PG for "mild language". I didn't notice any really. It was a bit on the long side, and could be tear jerking, but not unbearably so. There were some nice comic relief scenes to even those out. I liked the overall theme of love, forgiveness, and redemption.





I would recommend this movie for family viewing.



11 comments:

  1. Your review makes me want to go find it, Ma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan:) It also has Dave Matthews in it, and he plays a little. I like his stuff, so that was a nice treat, too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review Ma. I may need to get this one on my NF Queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching your reviews, too, so I can get some more ideas. We don't have NF....yet. But my brother in law was talking it up yesterday and I think my hubby was interested:)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review. Never seen here in Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abigail read that in and wants to see it. I haven't been able to find it though. there aren't any video stores around us and its not in the red box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet the book is good, too.

      You are most certainly welcome to borrow it!
      I know we're both so busy and not in close proximity, could I mail it to you?

      Delete
  5. Another one that I have to look for ...Thanks Ma!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be great! She would be so happy. Do you have my address, or do you need me to email it to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it:)I'll run by the post office on Saturday.

      Delete
  7. Thanks! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..