Thursday, January 23, 2014

First World Problems

I just love those "first world problem" jokes. Like these:

I hate restarting my computer, too.



We are so very very privileged. It's been cold here in Indy lately. C O L D. I don't remember a time when it was this bleeping cold for such a long stretch. I've got several layers on and am even wearing socks and I hate wearing socks. All this to say as cold as it is (and it is) thankfully for us it is a first world problem. There were times in the past before all the technology that we have now where this may have indeed been a very serious and deadly situation.



So I turn on a space heater and put on a sweater and am thankful to be on this earth at this time in history.

10 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how often (usually daily) that I am amazed at the securities I have: money, home, family, friends, safe community, safe country, safe food, safe water. As I walk out to take care of the chickens and am bundled against the elements with a home to run back into, As I drive one of our two cars.

    We live a very lower middle class life in America, but the luxury shouts to me constantly.
    I think it is because my years of living vulnerable overseas.
    Anything could disappear tomorrow, but for so long we have been so fortunate.
    In ways it feels wrong -- boy scout side of me, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are also in the lower middle class category, but it does seem very luxurious at times. The stuff I get irritated about it just so stupid. We have it made!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alice,
    The weather is crazy all over the place. Here in NW Canada it is mild and normally we are sitting at -20 C which is -4 F and we have been hovering around the 0 C mark which is 32 F. Our snow is melting and the animals are confused. We sure are living is wild times and I too am thankful to be living in such a time as this.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one tough chic :) I would not like living anyplace colder than we do now.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ma Alice, I guess that negative feelings about the seasons, the weather or the current regional temperate is relative. Here I sit in sunny Anaheim (Southern California) in a Tee Shirt. Says that its going to be 77 degrees tomorrow, but praying for rain. As nice as the a sunny warm day sounds, we are in the third year of a drought and this year we have had nothing. High Pressure system have been sending the jet stream winter storm over the top of us and we are in serious trouble. These extreme changes int he weather patterns of yours and mine and others makes me mindful of God and thankful this time and place that He has placed me. Not just for the technology, but also because of the people that touch my life ... like you. Blessings to you and yours Ma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago we had a major drought here and it was extremely hot. That was not pleasant, either:)

      I hope you are well Brian.

      Delete
  4. Very cold here too...counting the days til spring!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I can't wait to spend more time outside again.

      Delete
  5. oh man- you are right! So thankful to only experience these first world problems. We are so blessed. What do I have to complain about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very blessed, but I still find stuff to worry about. Trying to live in the 'now' is something that is bringing me a fair amount of peace when things seem crazy.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..