I was very impressed with the use of the mashed beans in my normal bread.
It did take some prep work, though, so I decided to try using the coffee grinder and making bean flour to replace a bit of the wheat. I knew bean flour was a thing, so when Jennifer suggested using bean flour to replace part of the flour in tortillas, I thought it would be a good idea to try it in my wild yeast bread as well.
I ended up using about a cup of ground up pinto beans plus 5 1/2 cups of a combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour. It turned out to be too much bean flour. Apparently, beans are gluten free and that messes with the system. The bread was heavy and very dense even though it did rise some (I was afraid it wasn't going to).
It looks good, but the loaves are usually much bigger. It tasted different, too, which seemed odd for so little bean, but it did. It was kind of sweeter and much more "filling". I guess that is a good thing if that's what you're after. No one was a big fan so......
I froze it. That's my go-to move until I figure something out. I imagine thinly sliced with something sweet on top like Nutella or jelly, attractively displayed and set out as a snack wouldn't generate any questions about the bread's ingredients:) I'll have to do that soon.
That was week 8.
Week 9 brought a round of stomach flu to the house, so beans were the least of my concern. I did defrost some already cooked kidneys for taco salad. I'm going to count that.
Today's Photo: April
It did take some prep work, though, so I decided to try using the coffee grinder and making bean flour to replace a bit of the wheat. I knew bean flour was a thing, so when Jennifer suggested using bean flour to replace part of the flour in tortillas, I thought it would be a good idea to try it in my wild yeast bread as well.
It looks good, but the loaves are usually much bigger. It tasted different, too, which seemed odd for so little bean, but it did. It was kind of sweeter and much more "filling". I guess that is a good thing if that's what you're after. No one was a big fan so......
That was week 8.
Week 9 brought a round of stomach flu to the house, so beans were the least of my concern. I did defrost some already cooked kidneys for taco salad. I'm going to count that.
Today's Photo: April
Hope you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteThank you Denise, we are mostly on the mend.
DeleteSickness - that is NO fun!
ReplyDeleteNo, especially when I get it >:/
DeleteI think I was the biggest baby of them all.
Oh my goodness, i am so sorry you are all sick! And you still managing to post. I hope it is very short lived.
ReplyDeleteI am getting better. It was a short, but intense bug.
DeleteSorry to hear about the bout with stomach flu. Not a "walking the park" for sure, especially home-schooling home-makers. The pinto bean bread sounds like a pretty good experiment. Maybe, just a tweaking of the amounts of ingredients by the master mom will yield a block buster bread yet? Great to see and hear your creativity and beauty at work Ma. Keep it up sister!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brian. Once things get all back to normal here I plan to use up the rest of the pintos in the bread.
DeleteYuck on the sickness. Yeah for the bean ideas. I think you are doing a great job and even when things don't turn out "just right" you still learn something. I had no idea there was such a thing as bean flour.
ReplyDeleteI love learning now that I'm old enough to realize I don't know anything. I wish I knew I didn't know when I had the time to really learn....ah life:)
DeleteYuck, stomach flu. Hope it's gone and all y'all are all better now!
ReplyDeleteNow, back to the bread... sweeter and more filling... I kinda like that idea. :-)
Thanks Petra.
DeleteYes the bread...it was kinda "grain-y" and felt really hearty. I know that doesn't sound bad at all, it's just not what we like and are used to. I read somewhere that the bean flour should only be about 10% of the whole, so maybe that's a good place to start if you want to try this.