Friday, April 12, 2013

Dawn









This hymn and especially this passage keeps coming to mind:

 O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.
source and credit



When I first believed, I used to pray all the time, it seems like all things were answered and I saw miracles in my life.



Then, I stopped becoming like and coming to Father like a little child.

Stuff happened.

or

Stuff happened and I stopped coming, or maybe a little bit of both.



I became disappointed, confused, bitter, lowered my expectations, and eventually apathetic.




Prayer is so easy and so hard. I know I've said that before, but it is. I think about all those times, the prayer times, the hope times, the KNOWING times, and I am refreshed. He is never unwilling to listen, I am unwilling to come. WHY? I don't know, I guess I figure I'm too busy or I'm too sinful, or I'm too tired, or it "won't work" or whatever else.


It's not a magic formula, He's not a genie, He may not answer the prayer the way I think it should be answered  now or ever, BUT.....if I don't believe that He hears me, if I don't go....well, I lose connection with the head.  He IS good. He's not arbitrary and unloving.


He sends help, inspiration, peace, joy, acknowledgements that He hears us, always, if we will just look for them.


Pray this weekend, believe, trust, appreciate and be joyful.



14 comments:

  1. Like a little child may be the key here. I often wonder if maybe as we get older, our heads get filled with so much STUFF, yes, even knowledge (which is not wisdom) that can be a gradual thing to change the way we communicate with God! This is a really insightful post, and I love your pretty crocus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we become to full of STUFF too. I heard someone say recently that a child asked why adults were so grumpy. The answer was basically that we've had more time to find things to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Prayer. Of all the things that I need to do, for all the right reasons, it is the main thing that I feel that I need to become better at and don't do as much as I want to and need to. And you asked the million dollar question: Why? I love your answer Ma: "I don't know." I don't either. But, by realizing our imperfection in our prayer life (our unwillingness to come - as you say) and not being satisfied with that, drives us to change and improve. God is awesome! It's our mind that needs to love and trust Him in true faith. I really see my weakness, yet I catch a glimpse of His strength and grace. Nice flower pic too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS the main thing I think because it effects everything else.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! This is a great blog to read. And so our cup runs over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your encouragement Denise.

      Delete
  5. The week-end is almost over and i so need this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to do this all that time now. Finding the good things being thankful. It really does change one's perspective.

      Delete
  6. I like the way that you process Ma!

    I sometimes wonder if prayer is more about submitting ourselves to God than spilling my guts out to Him like I usually do. Maybe the last part of the Proverbs 3 verse is really the key? Perhaps acknowledging him in all we do is a sign of trust? Maybe prayer is more about doing this as we go about our lives? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband wrote out that Proverbs verse probably 15 years ago and hung it on our fridge. It is now on my dresser's mirror.

      I do the gut spilling, too. Sometimes it just feels like I'm hanging onto the hem of his robe if you know what I mean. But I do find that He does give encouragement and peace and love through the storms, even if He doesn't stop the storm (which He could also do and I wonder why he doesn't.) But his ways are higher and he sees it all and his ways are love and ultimately I know that's what it is all about.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..