Monday, May 2, 2011

I Heart Tortillas

I made the rare batch of tortillas last night for supper, so I thought it would be a good time to put the recipe here.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE flour tortillas but they are very time consuming requiring at least 45 minutes of uninterrupted rolling and cooking time once I get started. All things have to be just so around here for me to be able to pull this off.

Those conditions were just right yesterday: A nice Sunday afternoon, the big kiddos playing outside and the little 'uns playing quietly watching cartoons. (Sometimes this just has to be done..don't judge me:P).

Anyway, this batch makes 24 smallish tortillas. If you aren't feeding a small army you could half or quarter the recipe (as well as the time involved) easily.


3 Cups Flour (I use half all purpose half whole wheat)
1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
2 teaspoons oil of some sort
1 teaspoon salt

Sift the flours and salt together. Mix the oil and water (I know they don't mix) and add to the flour mixture.
Stir together until it forms into a "ballish" blob.
Knead a few times and then form into a ball and cover.
Let sit for a while....an hour or more.

After the dough rests a while, divide into 24 balls or chunks and cover those and let sit for another bit. I find that letting the dough rest makes it much easier to roll out!


And then roll, cook, roll, cook, repeat.

I find that a well seasoned cast iron skillet is the best thing to cook these on:

Cook on one side until it looks all blistery like this...about 30 seconds

Then cook the other side for a few seconds, and yes it's not completely round.

I just stack mine on a cooling rack for a few seconds and then onto a plate.



We had them last night with leftover taco salad meat and lettuce and I re-worked Friday night's leftover pizza sauce into taco sauce by adding:

  • A splash of white vinegar
  • Some crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, and chili powder (I don't know how much).
TA DA!

The family gobbled them all up in about 15 minutes..ah the joys of cooking:)

14 comments:

  1. That can be frustrating about cooking. You spend so much time making something and then it is gone in a flash. But, I guess that is better than it being terrible and just sitting there for days. Believe me, that has happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a lesson in making homemade tortillas from a woman from Honduras. She cuts a plastic bag in a circle and places the ball of dough on top. Using her left hand, she turns the plastic, almost like a pottery wheel, and uses her right hand to press down on the dough. Mine weren't very circular, but hers were perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, they look delicious!

    If we ever meet on this side of heaven, I promise I will give you a "tortilla maker" which is a press that helps you make round, pretty tortillas :)

    Becky
    in Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell those tortillas cooking...Yum!

    Was in Canada over the weekend...Ken made me watch the royal wedding...I was trying to avoid it, lol...ok, off to the exercise room...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM homemade tortilla! My wife is Mexican-American and we get them, well not so much lately as before, but she can make some torillas, and refried beans, and...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look yummy, Ma! I like having tortillas around all the time, too, but mine aren't homemade. I understand your need for having things "just so," when trying to make something like this.

    And no judging from this Mama who sometimes uses the video method..HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo, yuuuuuummmmmmy! I likey the homemade tortillas. I will definitely try this recipe.

    No, yours were not exactly round, but think of it as a geography lesson - "Which country is this, kids?" And there ya' go, a school day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tortillas, but sadly don't think I have the patience to spend all that time. Good for you and they must have tasted delicious! Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Hen, I've had the sitting there for days dishes too;)

    Becky, I've always wanted to try a tortilla maker. Anything to speed up the process.

    Gregg, YUM! My hubby loves Mexican food, too.

    Trisha, I knew you would understand:)

    Mrs. Jennifer, these really are better than the store ones and I COULD make them rounder, but I like them "rustic"...yeah, that's the ticket;)

    Joanne, It definitely is a labor of love.

    Susan, I am proud to say that I didn't see one...second of the wedding! HA HA:P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your photos! After seeing "perfect" tortillas online - I wondered why mine were always such odd shapes!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gina:)

    Round is so boring:P

    ReplyDelete
  12. What you don't have a tortilla maker? You should come over and we can make a bunch of tortillas. I have a tortilla maker and an electric one. No rolling here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gretchen,

    I always wondered if those tortilla presses really work. Do they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are right, homemade tortilla can be time consuming, But well worth it :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..