Take me through the centuries to supersonic years
Electrifying enemy is drowning in his tears
All I have to give you is a love that never dies
The symptom of the universe is written in your eyes
Symptom of the Universe- Black Sabbath
After I asked the question I did a fair amount of research on the origins of the Bible, Judaism, Christianity, but I didn't want to get swept up into any propaganda or conspiracy theories. I had my own experience to draw upon and just wanted some outside factual views. I knew full well how easy it was to get swept up into this or that and I didn't want to go there again, but I was surprised at much of what I found out. I didn't know a lot of these things because I never looked at it objectively as someone who was on the outside. During all my years as a believer I just assumed the arguments made by skeptics were cooked up because they were rebellious at heart and didn't want God telling them what to do. That explanation made sense and kept me from ever really looking into any arguments against Christianity. But now, I could see why. I could finally understand why the skeptics were skeptical. I knew the reasons all too well. Many of these skeptics were former believers who had been where I had been, some much more so. I read many stories like mine. And I cried...a lot.
I was pretty sure I didn't believe it anymore. I couldn't. After all these years the one thing that meant the most to me was gone.
It's hard to describe the emotions that followed.
I felt detached from everything, like a shell just walking around. I would stand at the edge of the field that is next to our house where I loved to watch the sunrise or look out the laundry room window where I liked to watch the sunset- the "thin places" in my world where I could see the glory of God. The places I uttered my silent confessions, adoration, petitions. The places where I felt the presence of God and wondered what it was I had been doing all this time. If God is not in charge (or at very least not the Christian God) then what? I felt empty, scared, at times I felt as if I had been deceived.
We had stopped going to church and never did end up at Mass.
My husband and I spent that summer just being. We created an outdoor area for hanging out, cooked out often, played cards with the older kids, had some drinks. I felt like I had to tell him, really tell him that I was, well, that I didn't believe anymore...I didn't even know where to start. One night while we were finishing up supper, I just flat out told him that I was having a lot of doubts about Christianity.
I know
What about you?
Everyone's got their ideas.
I feel like I'm losing a part of myself.
I know.
Jesus told us to seek and we would find. I honestly believed that if Christianity were really true that no amount of searching it out could do any harm. I considered myself a very dedicated Christian more than the average and very very serious about my faith. I didn't just accept whatever I was told, though, I struggled, studied, wanted to know the very mind and heart of God. It really was everything to me, and now it was going away.
One night right after we turned out the lights to go to sleep I just lost it. I knew that this was probably it for any vestiges of Christian belief that I had. I was ready to let it go.
I went into the bathroom and sat on the floor and cried for about fifteen minutes just trying to get the tears out. I went back to bed exhausted and puffy eyed and zonked out.
I woke up in the morning angry.
Angry that I had spent almost 20 years of my life cowering in fear of God's judgement and not being able to enjoy them fully...
Angry that I had caused so many rifts in my marriage and in my family over religion...
Angry that I had invested so much time and my heart and soul and everything into the study of something that I discovered I just couldn't believe anymore...
I spent the next few weeks just being angry.
As the anger started to turn more into depression I sat down and started writing.
<previous part
next part>
Well, what can I say? That God wants us to be happy, like a father wants for his children. That it doesn't matter what you door your works, that is the point of the Old Testament, to show us that we are free from works. God only wants us to love him, be thankful for Him, and talk to Him. No rules, no angst, no crying. I wish I could put my arms around you and hug you. We can never understand God's ways and mind, he is a spirit. And if we COULD understand everything about Him, then He would not be very God-like, would He, it would make Him more like us. He says that his ways are NOT our ways.Your photo is stunning.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ginny for your kindness. Maybe my mistake was thinking I could know everything about Him.
DeleteI just remembered that same thing inspires us! I get breathless when I see gorgeous sunsets, fall trees, flowers. This is what turns me on. And it does for you, too. So I would just encourage you to believe in Creator God for now. The bible says that everything that can be known about God is known in nature. He made all these things for US! If you were the only person on earth, it would all still be here for YOU!
ReplyDeleteSince I am an atheist I don't think a god gave Alice the ability to feel ecstatic over these things. It is inside of Alice just the same as it has been and is unaffected by whether she believes there is a god or not. If Alice has correctly determined that there is no Christian god then Alice is the one who has always guided, nurtured and inspired Alice and she's done very well with those things. I predict that some of the best sunsets, fall leaves and flowers lie just ahead for Alice as she trusts own reason, learns all she can and lives the full thoughtful life she's worked for.
DeleteThank you for your encouragement, Dan. :)
DeleteI don't understand all that you have gone through, but I am so sorry that you have been hurting and the descriptive way you write really does make me want to find you and give you a hard long hug. Being internet friends is good, but there is so much more that we can't get across to each other via the blogs, internet, etc...
ReplyDeleteI think our kids would get along very well, too:)
DeleteI know that it's hard to understand, I don't quite understand it all myself. Thank you so much for your encouragement and for not judging me.
It makes me sad too that you feel like 20 years of your life have been wasted. I also regret being hard on people for religion - I regret that so badly. I regret not loving people more where they are. Like I said in my e-mail, I hope you have found peace in whatever form you have found it.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say wasted, but there was more mental anguish than not in most of those years. It's never too late to start loving people where they are, though, and I'm glad that you are trying to do that now.
DeleteFor me this sums up faith: "It's very similar to being in love - no one can prove that they're in love - likewise, you can't disprove it. You can't even prove or disprove the existence of love. But you feel it in your heart - you know when you're in love. That's what faith is to me, and to millions of other Christians the world over."
ReplyDeleteI understand that part of it, it is very emotional and personal. I would never want to insinuate that someone's faith isn't real.
DeleteI would be angry too if I felt that I had wasted so many years believing in God. I think that it would be unusual for someone to not be angry in that situation.
ReplyDeleteAlice,
ReplyDeleteI just recently discovered your blog. I appreciate the openness in which you write your story.
I understand where you are coming from. I was a fundamentalist Christian and preacher for many years. Through a long process of trying to "earnestly contend for the faith" and to "give a reason of the hope" that was in me, I had to abandon my faith.
It was quite unsettling at first. But now I enjoy the sunrise more. The wonder of the universe is awesome. It was people with wonder which led to the great discoveries we enjoy the benefit of today.
Stay encouraged along the way. Looking forward to more installments!
Hello Richard thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I have looked around a bit on your blog and see that you have wrestled with much of what I have and I look forward to reading more.
DeleteThanks for perusing my blog. I do not get to write as often as I would like to, but I do enjoy it. I have gone back to part 1 of this series trying to catch up.
Delete