In reading through Exodus I've recently gotten to the manna part. So many thoughts, but so jumbled and such, but the main thing I got out of the story this time, seems to be echoing in various places.
The youth pastor at our church spoke this Sunday about counting on Him presently, NOW, not in a well, I've got plans and you'd better get on board with them God (please), or please let me know somehow you got this God, but in an everything, everything way....next bill, next meal, next breath.
The children of Israel were told to only gather enough manna for one day and to eat and not save any until morning. Some didn't do that, tried to get ahead and what they stockpiled went bad. This really hit me this time.
*Then the children of Israel did so and gathered, some more, some less. So when they measured it by omers, he who gathered much had nothing left over, and he who gathered little had no lack. Every man had gathered according to each one’s need. And Moses said, “Let no one leave any of it till morning.” Notwithstanding they did not heed Moses. But some of them left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and stank. And Moses was angry with them.
God seems to want us to lean on Him day by day, minute by minute, perhaps even second by second- total utter dependence.
Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ from Luke 12
Another friend tells me to trust in all things, sit at His feet and learn and THEN, everything else. He said so Himself.
“And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you-Luke 12
Manna, daily bread, the bread from Heaven, let us wait upon Him.
*added to clarify. The Israelites were not able to gather too much, but it was when they tried to save some back that it went bad.

I wonder what I would have done had I been there....would I have picked just enough for one day or would I have "stockpiled"? I hope I would have done the right thing. Here in the present, I want to trust in Him in all that I do and all that is happening in our lives. I have to admit that there are times where I think I have a handle on things and forget that He is in Charge. Will I ever learn? Sometimes it depresses me...my weakness.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Ma.
Blessings, Joanne
Upon looking at the passage again, the Israelites weren't even able to gather extra. It says that those who gathered too much had just enough and those who gathered too little had just enough. Wow.
DeleteAnd when they tried to ration out some so that they would have some the next day (in case it didn't come as God said) it got wormy and rotten, and smelled bad.
(Ex 16:15-20)
I know what you mean about being upset with yourself. I am trying to surrender to His will in all things, it is very hard to let go of "me"....
I have read these passages lots of times, but when I got to the point about stockpiling, I stopped. It was as if God was speaking to me. I got on the coupon bandwagon several years ago. I had food and non-essentials piled up for months. Most of the food went out of date before I had a chance to use it. My husband fussed and complained about all the money spent, so I quit buying in bulk. I also quit using coupons like I was. Nowadays I can't seem to find coupons for the things I buy and I don't worry about it. I try to keep 2 of most things on hand, just in case I run out before I get to the store. The Dollar Tree has become my new friend.
ReplyDeleteI've done the exact same thing with the stocking up and then not using it in time.
DeleteJoseph was told to store up food for the famine to come, but one could argue that he is a special case.
I also like to keep the essentials stocked, one open, one in the pantry, but I think that is just good housekeeping;)
If I had a nickle for every time my hubby said "Manna, What Is It" when I served up the dinner I could have afforded to actually buy something identifiable to serve. haha! Yes, God provides - and sometimes in the most unusual ways. But we've never gone hungry. Lovely post Ma.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and yours.
I think of Psalm 37:25 on this.
DeleteGod does provide! I have a long story about trust and milk, but, I won't go into it now. We have to trust:)
ReplyDelete"God seems to want us to lean on Him day by day, minute by minute, perhaps even second by second- total utter dependence. "
I've been sensing that too, Ma. I am a clutterbug...and am resisting having to get rid of stuff, but one of these days my time of putting off the inevitable will run out, and there will be a huge donation to the Salvation Army, and to our trash dumpster. I have a storage unit to store a bunch of the stuff I haven't had time to sort out, another way I've been avoiding having to face the inevitable, sigh, and that is $60 a month for storing stuff that I don't use (need the rolling eyes emoticon here). Yeah, pretty pathetic. I need to start a clutterbugs anonymous, and be the first to confess to everyone "I have a problem". A day of reckoning is coming....(need frightened looking emoticon here, yikes!)
I'm a big hoarder too, Susan. I'm so glad that I have my hubby to balance me out:)
DeleteI've been trying to declutter more and more these last few years, I finally got rid of all the baby stuff and figured, if we have another, God will provide.
Also the less stuff you have, the less to clean..hmmm?:)
$60 a month! (need fainting emoticon here:))
"$60 a month! (need fainting emoticon here:))"
DeleteI agree. I don't have cable t.v. and I opt out on other things that would cost extra$ so I somehow rationalize that I'm justified... and I have a pretty good deal on my rent which includes paying for my gas/heat, so I look at my storage as a part of my rent money, instead of having a garage. I could move to a place that I have to pay for my heating and have a garage and pay a lot more per month, (and then have to move all my stuff) or do it this way. Sigh.
I will have to move prolly in about a year, so in the meantime, I have to start making trips to the Salvation Army to make donations. ;-)
DeleteThank God for Salvation Army and Goodwill. We can get rid of our stuff and feel like we're doing some good. Win-Win!
DeleteI always have a Goodwill bad going here and drop off every couple of months.
Hey Ma, just noticed yesterday that your emoticons disappeared. Didn't you like them? I thought they were funny. Oh well, not a biggie.
ReplyDeleteYes, I got rid of them. I'm trying to simplify the look a bit:)
DeleteYour coloring is improving Ma. :) But, I think that you have something here on this idea of "God seems to want us to lean on Him day by day, minute by minute, perhaps even second by second- total utter dependence". One of our biggest obstacles is self-depenance. Independence shall be from that which is not pleasing in the eyes of God in the spirit of holiness and righteousness as the foundation. The Israelites learned the hard way for our example of what not to do. We all battle, but know what we are fighting for. Blessings.
ReplyDeleteThe Israelites learned the hard way for our example of what not to do.
DeletePaul did say that what was written before was for us to learn by. I guess that's what we are doing:)
And the picture...from my 3 year old's Sunday school class. It's been hanging on the fridge for a couple of weeks. It fit in nicely here!
Great post, Ma, just what the good Physician ordered. God wants us to lean on Him at all times without self-reliant interruptions. Yes! How often I forget. Oh, I wonder if I would have picked more to save for later, picked more to have less in the end, because I tend to trust in the provision more than in the Provider. Very humbling!
ReplyDeleteLove and blessings, my friend!
Self-reliant interruptions. I like that.
DeleteI think we do this all the time, trying to stash something, anything "back" in case He doesn't give us our daily portion. It is in our nature. love to you too sister:)
Thank you fot his amazing post!
ReplyDeleteHi Jedidja, nice to see you:)
DeleteWonderful reminder to trust Him daily for all our needs! ♥
ReplyDeleteHi Cathy,
DeleteThanks for visiting!
The passage in Luke ties it all together Ma!
ReplyDeleteIf only we can do it;)
Delete