There was an incident recently with a very clogged kitchen sink, and during that time, I couldn't see trying to rinse my cans in put in the recycle bin and just tossed them in the trash gasp! un-rinsed at all! I was strangely NOT overcome with guilt as one would expect.
Shortly thereafter, I was listenening to Brannon Howse's radio show and he brought up this very topic:
Worldview Weekend Radio June 7, 2011
From the show notes:
Brannon continues the discussion from yesterday’s program and reveals why recycling household trash is not only foolish but can actually be worse for the environment. more
And then there is this story that was posted on Suze Blog:
Pope: There will only be peace if we take care of the environment
That's an odd thing to say. He even uses the term "mother nature."
There is nothing wrong and everything right with being good stewards of our planet, but there is a point where is goes too far, verging on "worshiping the creation more than the creator".
Do you all out there recycle everything, some things, nothing?
We do recycle, but in a different way. We collect our cans (we don't have that many as we don't drink canned drinks a lot) and then sell them for the alumninum. We save our old newspapers and use them in the garden as weed control. We freeze water in our plastic bottles to put out in the rabbit's cage to help cool him off. So, I guess we are recycling with a specific purpose in mind.
ReplyDeleteI recycle metal for a few scrapyard bucks, plastic and glass cause I don't want to get fined. We use all the old shopping bags as trashcan liners, and a lot of empy glass jars for different things. However, I do wish we'd get rid of plastic and styrofoam altogether. I read that you can use real popped corn as shipping cushening (without the butter, haha!) instead of the styro ones. I need to try that next time I sell something on ebay to see what kind of feedback I'd get then. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Ma,
ReplyDeleteI think it would be very easy to cut out all the plastic & styrofoam, & aluminum and but the oil corporations and the packaging corporations will not have it! They would lose revenue!
Who needs all that annoying packaging anyhow? Never had it before, don't need it now.
We the consumer are not the problem. But we pay for it! I much prefer my food items in glass that doesn't leach toxins as plastic & aluminum do. Paper recycling is an easy call that I think is doable but the others aren't worth the extra effort & energy expenditure.
Bottom line, if the government really wanted to clean up the environment, they'd just sweep the toxic packaging out of existence by insisting the corporations guilty of manufacturing harmful packaging to cease & change over to pre plastic age materials. Would be so easy to do, but the corporations stand in the way, so until they take responsibility, nothing will change.
I used to live where we had 3 refuse pick-up days a week, 1. recycle glass, plastic, & the corrugated cardboard, ect. ballet of the "right" materials. 2. Wood, branches, trimmings, leaves. 3. "Regular" garbage. and a 4. Special call for Other designation for building materials from remodeling or household replacements of furniture & appliances. We had it all covered, just had to remember what day it was. lol. Yeah, it's a garbage SCAM!
Hmmm interesting. I have to go and check out that site. BTW The idea of popcorn is awesome. I wonder if it would attract critters while in transit? Blessings, Joanne
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a great amount of trash, but we are along the same lines as Mama Hen, we reuse a lot of things.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Jennifer
I don't worry too much about it. I try to but I don't freak out if I don't.
ReplyDeleteMama Hen and Mrs. Jennifer (I hear you're having cookie problems;))
ReplyDeleteI like that idea and try to do that as much as I can...personal recycling. The plastic grocery sacks are good for lots of things and you saw where my coffee cans went. We used to drink lots of things in bottles and cans, but don't so much anymore, so there's a huge reduction there, too. I may have to look into collecting our own aluminum for cash.
Petra,
That is a cool and cheap idea about the popcorn, if it would work. I would be worried like Joanne said, about mice or something getting in. I have plastic grocery sacks in the past for shipping. Just bunch them up into lots and lots of wads and stuff them in. It works great too. Our recycling in Indianapolis is still voluntary, for now. My in-laws just found out that in their city, glass will no longer be collected. Weird.
musemater,
ReplyDeleteExcess packaging drives me nuts! When we receive a package, I hoard up all possible reusable things and put them up to use in case I have to ship the occasional ebay item or something. Bubble mailers can be used several times.
I agree that recycling paper seems to make some sense. I heard that one can compost it. I save the really nice shiny catalogs and such for wrapping paper.... I know pretty cheap.(I haven't BOUGHT wrapping paper in probably five or six years). I also clean the windows with newspaper, too. I will avoid using plastics if possible as well.
I used to live where we had 3 refuse pick-up days a week, 1. recycle glass, plastic, & the corrugated cardboard, ect. ballet of the "right" materials. 2. Wood, branches, trimmings, leaves. 3. "Regular" garbage. and a 4. Special call for Other designation for building materials from remodeling or household replacements of furniture & appliances. We had it all covered, just had to remember what day it was. lol. Yeah, it's a garbage SCAM
That was Brannon's point about much of the recycling. It takes so much more money in the form of a whole different fleet of trucks, people, days, etc. to get all the stuff...and he says much of the time the plastics and paper end up in a landfill anyway.
I wonder if they're just trying to keep us busy sorting our garbage while they pull all kinds of "garbage" on us. lol:)
Gretchen,
I like that, I guess that is kind of my approach now, too. There was a time when I was pretty worried about it.
I don't recycle anything. I try to dispose of dangerous things like chemicals, batteries, and such as the dump, oops I mean the Recycle Center for waste management, when I grew up it was the dump.
ReplyDeleteI think we should be good stewards of our earth and resources but I am not green at all, I am not PC at all, I am not a preservationist at all.
I wish we could take either Iowa or a big flat state and put all the green bleeding hearts in it with an electric fence so they can't get out and let us have our land back.
Tell us how you really feel Gregg!:)
ReplyDeleteI remeber when I was a kid, we lived out in no-man's land where there was no trash pick up and we burned ours. There were also the trips to the dump. I have a bunch of batteries now that I'm trying to figure out where to take:(
Hi Ma, We have a collection once a fortnight, and because there are only the two of us, we don't have all that much to recycle...so we sometimes only put it out once a month. Our newspapers are given to a mad gardener for recycling...and we don't use cans all that much I recycle all the glass jars for making jam and give the overflow of jars to a friend for the same purpose.Reuse egg cartons for people who have chickens We reuse gift paper....actually my daughter in law did up a lovely plastic box and we recycle that to and fro, saves on wrapping paper...we've been using this "box" since 2000 and it's still going strong...we just tie it with new ribbon...
ReplyDeleteblessings
Yaddy
Hi yaddy,
ReplyDeleteI love the box idea and I use all my glass jars, too, mostly for drinking glasses;)