After months of talking about it, we finally took the plunge.
The service stopped at midnight Sunday.
He did it...he cancelled the cable! Well, actually the satellite dish and service, we've had both over the years.
The satellite was the worst-freezing up at the slightest cloudiness or gentle breeze whilst our beef with the cable was the constant nickel-and-dime-you-to-death rate increases.
We got to wondering back a few months ago why in the world we (he) are shelling out the big bucks for this thing. We hardly ever use it, 99.9% of the programming is completely unwatchable and with what's left you get barraged with commercials.
We have found ourselves opting for videos and DVDs when the box is on, or at the very least just using the DVR (the dvr was pretty rockin') to watch the half a dozen or so shows that the kids actually watched.
So that's it, besides the holes in the side of our house and roof from the equipment, we shall soon be free of it.
I realize I'm late to the party on this move, but it's good to be part of the club:)
Now there will be more time for this kind of thing:
Mr. Invention took his set and it them into shelter last week due to the heat. It's not any cooler in the garage, but it made him happy.
The service stopped at midnight Sunday.
He did it...he cancelled the cable! Well, actually the satellite dish and service, we've had both over the years.
The satellite was the worst-freezing up at the slightest cloudiness or gentle breeze whilst our beef with the cable was the constant nickel-and-dime-you-to-death rate increases.
We got to wondering back a few months ago why in the world we (he) are shelling out the big bucks for this thing. We hardly ever use it, 99.9% of the programming is completely unwatchable and with what's left you get barraged with commercials.
We have found ourselves opting for videos and DVDs when the box is on, or at the very least just using the DVR (the dvr was pretty rockin') to watch the half a dozen or so shows that the kids actually watched.
So that's it, besides the holes in the side of our house and roof from the equipment, we shall soon be free of it.
I realize I'm late to the party on this move, but it's good to be part of the club:)
Now there will be more time for this kind of thing:
| That is a castle "toy box" that was in our garage under the drums here. |
Mr. Invention took his set and it them into shelter last week due to the heat. It's not any cooler in the garage, but it made him happy.
It is so true that almost all of tv and movies now a days are unwatchable. If you really want to watch a tv show - you can watch it for free online a week or so later anyway. You will find that you don't even miss it!
ReplyDeleteblessings in Christ
Linda
Welcome to the only dvd vhs club!! We broke free several years ago, and like you rarely watched because of the content of everything.
ReplyDeleteWe felt weird at first, but now...I cannot imagine having tv. Some folks will share a program and ask me about it and are shocked when I tell them we have no incoming source. Wow...a strange lot we are :)
Love the drums btw- very neat!
Jennifer
Okay - same exact story. My deary thought he wouldn't be able to live without tv, so he got satellite at the big "switch"...cancelled it asap!! It was awful.
ReplyDeleteHi Ma,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting rid of your satellite. I've used rabbit ears for a while now, don't watch all that much tv anyway, I've got the internet, HA! Plus I get really good reception (most of the time, except during bad weather) for FREE!
I used to have cable, but that's already ancient history now, lol... about 10 years ago now. I also can get some retro channels that have really old tv shows on them.
But I'm really too busy, I shouldn't even be here right now
gotta go :)
Wonderful about your cable and satellite. We thought so many times about getting one or the other and are glad we never did. Our 13 year old son has managed to keep himself busy without missing it-thought everyone he knows seems to have it.
ReplyDeleteAwesome drum set- will have to show this pic to our son. Very well done!! God bless!
Hi Ma! Congratulations, you'll never miss it!
ReplyDeleteWe took the step last September. We do as you with our collection of favorite DVDs & our old VHSs and Netflix in the mail & online. Much better choices. We get our weather from intellicast.com & weatherbell.com as well as others, our news from drudgereport, infowars, & many others US & EU & other world sources actually watching what's going on in the world.
My teenagers have also become proficient writers, readers, & builders. Today's project in the shed going on right now is staining the desks they made with their dad.
With live TV in the house on days this hot they would normally just veg out! They've discovered that sweating won't kill you, imagine that? lol!:)
I bet you won't even know its gone! We haven't had cable or access to reliable regular stations for about two years now and it really is no big deal. We do netflix and get to pick exactly what we want to watch!
ReplyDeleteLast time I had cable was around 1998 or '99. It was included in the apartment rent. We're all better off without that garbage.
ReplyDeletePS: However, I do recall that there were still *some* actual music videos to be seen on MTV and VH1 in those days. Can you believe it!
It's nice to know that you can live without it! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for all the input here, I didn't know about some of these things.
Netflix..have not considered that one. This is certainly something to think about. And the Roku...very cool.
We don't have an antennae, yet, but I think there are some rabbit ears in the closet somewhere.
aztexan, I think I was up with one of the babies about 10 years ago and flipped on MTV for some reason. There was a video on then...but I remember it being creepy "Sour Girl by STP".
OH...I can't wait for my DH to throw in the towel. He's fine until the fall...we're in TN and huge college football fans. We have satellite, too...but I just think it's a big waste.
ReplyDeleteNice to see you Michelle,
ReplyDeleteWe waffled on this for a long time, I was ready, he wasn't, I wanted to keep it, he wanted to ditch it. Finally we arrived on the same page:)
"...I remember it being creepy 'Sour Girl by STP'."
ReplyDeleteSee, I didn't even know there was a video for that song! The last STP clip I remember was the one for "Big Bang Baby," circa '96. Back then I was sure Scott Weiland would be dead no later than 2000. It's kinda shocking that he's still around.
I am the odd man out here I guess. we use only the dvr and I record what we want and the heck with the rest. My son loves the old looney tunes and my daughter rarely watches at all. I wish I was ready to give it up but sadly not there yet. will I ever be? I don't know. Good for you Ma!!! Blessings, Joanne
ReplyDeleteThat IS shocking aztexan. Weren't the 90s fun?
ReplyDeleteHi Joanne..I did really like the dvr. My dd thought she would still be able to see her recorded shows until they send us the stuff to send back the receivers, but they shut er down.
Ma - (your comment on Mama Hen's blog)- not only do we have a pool, it's a saltwater pool. No chemicals. DO I get the natural award today or what??!!
ReplyDeleteMrs Jennifer...
ReplyDeleteYou are awarded such!
And what I said about coming over, forget that, we're spending the summer:)