I've been in silence mode recently (except for now of course).
I ask Him all the time to give me wisdom, help me to understand His word, Him. He's giving me some things to chew on. I can't put them into words just yet, but this morning was thinking about the tree.
If God's world was perfect and all was "very good" why put a tree in creation...in the midst of the garden no less, that was forbidden for men to eat? A tree in which was desirable to man's senses and could do nothing but provoke curiosity in them? A tree in which the knowledge it would give man would ultimately bring sorrow and pain and hard labor and death.
I think most theologians would agree that if God had not intended for man to fall, then what was up with that tree? Could God NOT have prevented it? Of course He could have but instead He placed the temptation and even the tempter there.
So The man and his wife were told that in the day they ate of the fruit of the tree they would die Apparently, death was not in the mix yet and was unknown. They of course didn't die physically that very day, many would say they died spiritually, but that's really not the point here I guess.
They were banished from the Tree of Life (the other tree which doesn't get much press)...in which they could have lived forever, and the way to this tree was now guarded from them. The way of immortality was lost and the introduction of sorrow and sin became mankind's lot.
I ask Him all the time to give me wisdom, help me to understand His word, Him. He's giving me some things to chew on. I can't put them into words just yet, but this morning was thinking about the tree.
![]() |
| more gorgeous photography here |
I think most theologians would agree that if God had not intended for man to fall, then what was up with that tree? Could God NOT have prevented it? Of course He could have but instead He placed the temptation and even the tempter there.
So The man and his wife were told that in the day they ate of the fruit of the tree they would die Apparently, death was not in the mix yet and was unknown. They of course didn't die physically that very day, many would say they died spiritually, but that's really not the point here I guess.
They were banished from the Tree of Life (the other tree which doesn't get much press)...in which they could have lived forever, and the way to this tree was now guarded from them. The way of immortality was lost and the introduction of sorrow and sin became mankind's lot.

That's a humdinger you're chewin' on there. This is one of those burning questions the answer to which seems so crystal-clear to me that, in my humbler moments, I suspect I must be missing something huge because countless generations have puzzled - even stumbled - over this from cradle to grave. I don't get what's not to get, which apparently underscores the fact I'm a double-blind fool who just don't get it.
ReplyDeleteMay He grant you humility and clarity in equal measure.
I am so thankful for that tree! God created us with free will. Free to choose to obey Him or walk away. Because of His deep, deep love for us He allowed us to choose. I am so thankful we are not robots, programed to love Him.
ReplyDeleteBecause of this free will, my love for Him is so deep, a love that would never have existed if He didn't allow me to choose.
Good post, thanks!
<><
aztexan said:
ReplyDeleteThis is one of those burning questions the answer to which seems so crystal-clear to me that, in my humbler moments, I suspect I must be missing something huge....
I do think we are maybe missing something huge.
Child of God,
I see what you are saying, too.
I have thought that very thing on more than one occasion and I have simply asked...why?...then answered Because thats is how He wanted it to be. It can make one crazy trying to figure it out but I say thats why He is God and we are his Children. Great post. You always give us so much to think about! Blessings, Joanne
ReplyDeleteMa: >>I do think we are maybe missing something huge.<<
ReplyDeleteNah. It's the simplest thing imaginable. However, we are hopelessly depraved, so we muddy the waters with nonsense like the human autonomy fiction and other incredible fables. Vain speculation and empty philosophizing ad infinitum.
I know what you mean about the tree..
ReplyDeleteAdam and Eve were not like us, they have no understanding about anything. I am sure if I had been Eve I would have been curious and I would have also been decieved. I hate to admit that, but I am sure it is true.
I can remember back in my growing up years, I knew nothing about anything. Everything was perplexing. I still have a very child like attitude to many things. Everyone is different, some people think, of course the Tree was a Test! They were told not to eat so why did they?? I believe that is simple, there was no sin up until that point, and they had no inkling... Perhaps God gave them super brains with super understanding and thats why they should have known?? we will never understand the reason? BUT, one day when we make it to Heaven, all will be clear. Blessings CM
What a question! Perhaps that tree was there to show that only God is perfect and holy? I also think of the 'appreciation' factor. Why do we appreciate grace, love, perfection, righteousness so much? What does light mean to me, to you? What's the quality of a smile without that evaporating tear?
ReplyDeleteI better stop while I can... :-)
Blessings!
I agree with Astexan,
ReplyDeleteIf the answer comes a little too easily to our "natural" logic, it's probably not correct, and in God's economy if it's even a little off it's completely wrong. We get that understanding from how satan even used scripture to try to throw Jesus off, just as he used "didn't God say..." with Eve to throw her off the track.
The Bible tells us that man's ways are not God's ways, so, how can we EVER figure Him out? Not so easy now, eh? Answer any of Job's many questions....scientists still can't do it, and neither can theologians. Personally I think He did it to teach us that He knows infinitely more than any of us...but since that came out of my fleshy mind, that's probably not it either. :)
I am enjoying all your thoughts everyone:)
ReplyDeletePetra- I see what you're saying exactly and perhaps that is part of it. The light/dark happiness/sorrow thing indeed.
The problem I have with it being a test is that each of us individually didn't have the same test. We all weren't given the same chance at it...although I know I would have failed...God knew they would fail.
Plus, it is not as if a person being born and never doing anything "really bad" is off the hook. A toddler who tells her mom "no!" (as mine is doing:P) is now a transgressor of the law.
Crystal Mary,
I think that Adam and Eve probably had some better fellowship or deeper understanding of God before the fall than we do now, too.
Joanne, it really does come down to that..that's the way He wanted it. Sometimes I wish I could just not ask so many questions!
Susan,
but since that came out of my fleshy mind, that's probably not it either. :)
I love that.
Deut 29:29
Ma,
ReplyDeleteI understand your dilemma. The Lord will answer your questions in due time.
without the tree, and thus the fall, there would be no need for the plan of redemption which ultimately will be better than before the fall.
these are very good questions!
blessing in Christ
Linda
Hi Ma, Not knowing why God did, does, and will do anything is to me just par for the course, cause He's God & I'm not.
ReplyDeleteHe Potter, me clay.
Another question I can't figure out is, "Why did God make us at all?" My only answer is, "It pleases God." I don't understand that either!
But God = The Great I AM.
and made me,
so I will be grateful because I so love living and being a child of His through the plan of salvation in His Only Begotten Son. (Again, I don't understand this either!) Just glad to exist as part of God's creation.:)
Hi Linda:)
ReplyDeleteTo be quite honest, I wish I could just say "Jesus loves me this I know" and move on. I have been rather nauseous at all this.
Hello musemater,
Another question I can't figure out is, "Why did God make us at all?" My only answer is, "It pleases God." I don't understand that either!
More questions!
You know, when I was a little kid, I remember lying in bed trying to sleep trying to think about how it would be if there was nothing...nothing at all...sick right?
My dd said she has done this too, so maybe it's a kid thing.