Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Bake Bread When it's 90 Degrees...

Sunrise today....Now that sun looks like it means business!


...Don't.

It is HOT..and we are currently without the air conditioning..(I figure people lived for thousands of years without it so I'm not complaining, just learning to adjust).

I started my daily bread baking and came to the decision that it probably wasn't the best idea to turn the oven on for an hour, so what to do with the dough?

I haven't yet with the method of wild yeast baking that I do, but am experimenting with freezing it to use later and then maybe doing a whole buncha baking on a cooler day.

Any advice?


13 comments:

  1. Last summer we had almost no air well no working swamp cooler. I baked my bread overnight. I let it rise in the late evening and baked overnight. It required me to set an alarm but not as bad as cooking while baking in the midday heat!

    Good luck...oh and we would sit in the kiddie pool last year(well this year too as we live in the desert!!)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. A while ago when my daughter was a brownie (girl scouts) they taught her how to bake cookies using a cardboard box that was lined with aluminum. it used the concentrated heat of the sun. It worked so well that it actually burned the cookies! Scout leader left them in too long. I bet you could bake bread in a box like that too! Later I will look for a web site and if I find it I will share it with you. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    I had considered that...the nighttime baking, hubby suggested it. That could work.

    Joanne,

    What a neat idea! Send me a link if you find the plans:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, no suggestions...for us here it is the 11th consecutive day of over 90 degree heats here in GA. I baked bread today, in the bread machine. However, I didn't know that the yeast had expired, like 10 months ago, and it came out the size of a softball and hard as a rock. I am eating it anyway, as penance. Who knew yeast expired? Apparently everyone but domestic disaster lil ole me.

    I'd go for the nighttime baking, or maybe at dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't going to comment because I have no advice for you other than a low carb diet! But Joanne's solar oven sounds pretty neat! I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just set it outside. It ought to be hot enough to bake don't ya think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ma, here are the links for the solar oven and a few more about solar oven bread. I have never tried this myself but I just might try it this summer.

    www.i4at.org/surv/solarbox.htm

    http://www.ehow.com/how_2083_make-solar-oven.html

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-Box-Solar-Oven/

    http://breadbaking.about.com/od/solarovenbaking/Solar_Oven_Bread_Baking_Instructions.htm

    http://www.solarcooking.org/recipes/bread.htm


    There are tons of sites these are just a few that I found. I hope it works for you! crossing my fingers!!! Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I forget my dough sitting in the bread machine or I get caught up in the day to bake the bread. I just punch it down a few times and then by the time I bake it, it has a bit of a sour flavor that is really good.... makes me think of sourdough bread. I have used dough which had to sit out for several hours for both bread and cinnamon rolls. The family thought they were great...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth,

    Sorry about your bread:( I hope it wasn't tooo bad.If we lived closer, I'd make you take some of my starter (everyone that knows me gets some:P). A bread machine would be nice for this kind of thing! I think we're getting some relief from the heat today.

    Mrs. Jennifer,
    Low carb! NEVER!

    Gregg,
    One would think:) My hubby actually suggested that.

    Joanne,
    Thanks so much for the links!
    I'm definitely going to have to make this a must-try project. I'm sure the Mr. would be interested in having an alternate cooking method, you know, in case the grid goes down or something.

    Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for stopping by:) My bread is technically sourdough, but I try to make it so it's not too sour. It is good to know that dough isn't as picky as we sometimes think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My advice is to get the air conditioning fixed, ha! Or go to someone else's house who has air and bake it there. That probably doesn't help much does it? what other herbs are you looking for for your teas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny Gretchen;)
    Hubby says it's on the list (the fixing)...we don't charge or finance ANYTHING AT ALL anymore, so we just gotta wait. Thankfully the weather has given us a break today and I did make pizza for supper.

    I'm an absolute herb tea kook, so it's safer to ask me what I'm NOT interested in, but the main ones are chamomile, lemon balm, catnip, mints of various kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bake weekly and have stopped buying bread, but in the extreme heat of summer.....I have decided just to buy bread for a couple of weeks. It just seems weird to have the oven going and the air on. So I don't have any good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie,

    I know what you mean about having the oven and air on at the same time. It does seem counterproductive.

    I did buy some bread a couple of weeks ago in the very heat of it, but have been doing tortillas for hubby's lunches.

    I usually bake 3-5 times a week during the winter, I guess that gives me a plus side to winter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..