I visit and sometimes, not as much as I used to, comment or get involved with discussions on message boards.(Check out my faves on the sidebar-wink). I have found lately, though, the need to argue discuss with people over non-essentials and I guess even essentials may not be the best use of my time...although it is fun.
In the couple of years I have frequented these sites, the most common page-after-page-going-in-circle threads include:
While I have learned from some of these things, I find that for the most part, no one changes their minds about anything and I will admit, I never have. We (myself included) just love to show off how much "knowledge" we have. Some of my favorite phrases and some I'm sure I've clacked away are things like:
While I'm sure that these sisters and I would certainly disagree on some points (don't we all?) I enjoyed these posts very much. Their humility and eagerness to learn is something I would like to do as well.
This verse has been coming to mind lately:
Note: I am not advocating a let's all just get along at any cost ecumenism. I am just finding out that there are things that are not essential essentials. It is when we (I) think we (I) have all the answers, have it all figured out, have the right hermeneutic system, that pride and unwillingness to learn creep in, at least for me.
In the couple of years I have frequented these sites, the most common page-after-page-going-in-circle threads include:
- Pre/mid/post/no rapture
- Eternal security vs. conditional salvation
- Legalism/grace
- The holidays-are-pagan warning threads at the appropriate time of year (Easter/Halloween/Christmas)
- Sovereignty/free will
While I have learned from some of these things, I find that for the most part, no one changes their minds about anything and I will admit, I never have. We (myself included) just love to show off how much "knowledge" we have. Some of my favorite phrases and some I'm sure I've clacked away are things like:
- I used to believe that too.
- The Lord showed me.
- Scripture clearly says....
- The Early Church believed
- I only follow the Bible
This verse has been coming to mind lately:
Note: I am not advocating a let's all just get along at any cost ecumenism. I am just finding out that there are things that are not essential essentials. It is when we (I) think we (I) have all the answers, have it all figured out, have the right hermeneutic system, that pride and unwillingness to learn creep in, at least for me.

Wow very well put! I have to say I have been and probably still on occasion Feel that "I'm right you are wrong" attitude. I try to go back to when I was working for a very strict Jewish family ( they had a store) on fridays I was there with the Son only a half day because of their Sabbath ( who was also very religious in his faith) and another lady also worked there too. It was the weirdest thing...we would start to talk about our faiths and being only 18 and 19 years old we were more respectful to each other than many people are in the world. I learned alot about about his faith and he learned alot about mine. I realized later in life as I went out with my "I got it all figured out attitude" (completely failing at my attempt to make others understand MY side) I was failing. I was getting angry and closed off and instead of sharing my faith with love and compassion I felt like I was constently defending it and not lovingly I might add. I am learning and I pray everyday that I am guided in His way. I fail..boy do I fail...But Thank God He is more patient and forgiving ..something that I struggle to do with others and they with me...But I am trying and learning and falling and getting up again. Thank you for this post...I really needed this today. Blessings, Joanne
ReplyDeleteThis is great. Our pastor addressed this recently. He used this illustration...there are some things that I am closed handed on...they are truth and I will not compromise, then there are a lot of things that I am open handed on and will have fellowship with other believers even if we don't agree....the fact was that there are more open handed issues than closed handed.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing....great post and I will check out the post you mentioned.
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteThis is still a sore spot for me, I must admit. I still believe that there are people that deliberately are there sowing "weeds and tares", but just as Jesus said, He's going to take care of that in the proper time, I'm not supposed to go weeding ahead of time. I used to think that the young believers could be led astray by the lies so I had to do my best to set it straight, but again, Jesus said He would protect His own, so, not my job...but it's so hard not to meddle!
The best thing we can do is give an answer to show ourselves approved (when God gives us utterance...and it has to be GOD, if it's belligerent, etc, it's not Jesus) and the rest of the time to remain faithful and watch and pray.
The spirit is willing but my flesh....sigh....
Hi Joanne,
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat story:)
It's funny that many times younger people are more willing to talk about differing views without being defensive. No one is going to be won over to anyone's side of anything by not showing love and respect...and again I'm NOT saying compromise. Sometimes it's best to say our peace and leave it. The Spirit works in amazing ways.
Janette,
I really like the way your pastor put that. There are certain things we must not compromise about, but others that we can agree to disagree.
Susan,
Knowing that you like to discuss (ahhem argue) as much as I do, I know where you're coming from!
I like the weeding illustration a lot. There was a time when I listened to some teachers(tares, perhaps?)that I wouldn't now, but it was useful at the time. It wasn't someone coming up and hollering at me to stop that caused me to move on....it was the Spirit. But He never hollers at me either, it is very hard to explain...but I think of the gift of the Spirit. A gentle leading, nudging. God is awesome!
And Jesus will protect His own, but we know that:)
Ma
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking to my blog! I was the QUEEN of arguing and really socking it to anyone that didn't believe like I did. But I am just begining to see that Love covers a multitude of sins!
and doctrinal errors! :)
love in Christ!
Linda
Love does cover a lot Linda;)
ReplyDeleteI do want to re-iterate, as if I haven't made it clear enough that there are non-essentials for sure..BUT the side issues I don't think are worthy of breaking fellowship over.
If we are His He will be there with us during our immaturity, spiritual laziness, know-it-all-ness, sidetracking, even bad theology and such. These things grow us up in Him. We don't come to the party having it all figured out.
I like what you said at the end of your post
I am now at the place where I have determined not to know ANYTHING but Christ, and Him crucified. Maybe now, the Lord can begin to teach me His truth.