I'm finally joining the wonderful world of blogging. The main purpose for this blog is to provide links and commentary on some great Bible studies, doctrinal issues and current and end-time events.
I will mainly be compiling links and information from other sites, but my hope is that like-minded sisters (and brothers) in the LORD will be edified and encouraged.
So first up....
I ran across a 49 part teaching on the history of the church by James White of Alpha and Omega Ministries on Lane Chaplan's blog.
I have become a huge fan of his apologetic work since being introduced to reformed theology last year. His eschatology is not premillenial, usually deal breaker for me, but he is so good at what he does, I've decided to let it slide;)
The study is about ten years old give or take and the sound quality is HORRIBLE, but I am finding it worthwhile to trudge through.
He is also going through a bit of early church history in his most recent Dividing Line podcasts. It seems that he is getting ready to debate Catholic apologist Robert Sungenis in the fall. The program that aired on the 13th was very good.
This is my first foray into early church history since coming out of the Roman Catholic Church. White says that the early church fathers weren't necessarily Reformed Baptists (which he is) but they certainly weren't Roman Catholics either! I am really trying to listen to these with a fresh perspective and of course with the Holy Scriptures as the sole rule of faith.
What I think is important to remember, and what I am learning so far in this study is that the same issues that were of debate in the early years of the Christian faith are still very much in debate to this day. Those who walked and talked with our Lord didn't always get it:
Now many would argue that this was before Pentecost and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, but we find in that even in the God chosen Apostles themselves that there was not always absolute unity:
I will mainly be compiling links and information from other sites, but my hope is that like-minded sisters (and brothers) in the LORD will be edified and encouraged.
So first up....
I ran across a 49 part teaching on the history of the church by James White of Alpha and Omega Ministries on Lane Chaplan's blog.
![]() |
| You can find Lane's original post here. |
I have become a huge fan of his apologetic work since being introduced to reformed theology last year. His eschatology is not premillenial, usually deal breaker for me, but he is so good at what he does, I've decided to let it slide;)
The study is about ten years old give or take and the sound quality is HORRIBLE, but I am finding it worthwhile to trudge through.
He is also going through a bit of early church history in his most recent Dividing Line podcasts. It seems that he is getting ready to debate Catholic apologist Robert Sungenis in the fall. The program that aired on the 13th was very good.
This is my first foray into early church history since coming out of the Roman Catholic Church. White says that the early church fathers weren't necessarily Reformed Baptists (which he is) but they certainly weren't Roman Catholics either! I am really trying to listen to these with a fresh perspective and of course with the Holy Scriptures as the sole rule of faith.
What I think is important to remember, and what I am learning so far in this study is that the same issues that were of debate in the early years of the Christian faith are still very much in debate to this day. Those who walked and talked with our Lord didn't always get it:
Luke 18:
31Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
32For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
33And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
34And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken.
Now many would argue that this was before Pentecost and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, but we find in that even in the God chosen Apostles themselves that there was not always absolute unity:
Galatians 2:So can we trust eyewitnesses or hand picked Apostles or tradition or visions or good feelings? NO. Here is a famous 3:16 passage, and it is not the one everyone thinks of first:
11But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
15We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
17But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also arefound sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
18For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
All that being said, I do think it is a worthwhile pursuit to have some familiarity with the high points of Church history and I'm finally ready to go there.
2Timothy 3:16:
All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (17)That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

You stated towards the beginning of this entry that Dr. White is not pre-millenial....did you mean pre-trib maybe?
ReplyDeleteI don't know Dr. White's position, I'm just curious if you might have confused the terms here because I've experienced others who used pre-millenial but actually meaning pre-tribulational, and the two are quite different in meaning.
I do mean amillennial (or non premillennial -having nothing to do with the rapture issue). I looked at the statement of faith on his site:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.aomin.org/articles/statement.html
"We believe that Christ is coming again to judge the living and the dead. This promise is found throughout the inspired Scriptures. Till His return, believers are to live lives that bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. The Church is to be busy doing the work of evangelism and discipleship, proclaiming the pure, uncompromised Gospel of Christ by teaching the Word of God."
Jim McClarty also mentioned in one of his teaching that he had heard Dr. White refer to his position as amillennial. He (Dr. White) has said in past programs that he hasn't studied eschatology and doesn't really go there.
So looong answer to a short question. I meant premillennial and not pretribulational:)
I decided to read some of your early posts, and here I am at the beginning. I wanted to recommend David Calhoun's lectures on the Reformation and Modern Church History (I think that's the exact title). They are available free through iTunes. He also has a set of lectures on the ancient church. Calhoun was a professor of church history at Covenant Theological Seminary, which I believe is the only official seminary of the PCA. He is definitely Reformed, and strongly Presbyterian. I'm not sure whether you are Presbyterian yourself, but I think that anyone could get a lot out of his lectures. They are actually a lot like sermons. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy them if you decide to check them out.
ReplyDeleteThanks Leslie,
DeleteI always like to check out new things. I am not Presbyterian, but am familiar with what they believe, so I will know where he's coming from.
Thanks for reading.
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteI would love to listen to that teaching but the link is not valid any longer.
Another good teacher on early church history is Chris Pinto. I highly recommend his documentary-A Lamp In The Dark: The Untold History of the Bible-
http://believersjourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/lamp-in-dark-untold-history-of-bible.html
Christ Pinto also talks a lot about the reformers, early church history and does Christian apologetics on his radio show-
http://www.noiseofthunder.com/noise-of-thunder-radio-show/
Here is a good article:
THE WALDENSES & THE ALBIGENSES: DEFENDING THE PILGRIM CHURCH
http://www.noiseofthunder.com/articles/2011/5/5/the-waldenses-the-albigenses-defending-the-pilgrim-church.html
Thanks and God bless!
Sarah
Hi Sarah, sorry about the link, I guess it was bound to happen. I am familiar with Chris Pinto, very interesting stuff, thanks for the link, I'm always looking for new resources.
ReplyDeleteI will see if I can rectify the missing info here, but if not, I'll make a note of it later.
I think the link is fixed now:)
ReplyDeleteOK great I will check it out!
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you had such great resources coming out of of the RCC. Their teaching of church history definitely runs contrary to the facts by any non Catholic historian's standards.
ReplyDeleteAnother great 3 volume book series is "A Long Line of Godly Men" by Steven Lawson, which traces the the doctrines of grace from Moses to now. The first book is "Foundations of Grace" (Moses-Apostle John) the 2nd is "Pillars of Grace" (Apostle John - the Reformation). He hasn't completed the final one yet. They are wonderful books, and so easy to read.
When I attended RCIA classes, they focused very much on the history of the church more than anything else. It took me years to be able to go back and look again. History is history, but the true church has always existed, and in my estimation, in the minority.
DeleteWow, a post and comments chock full of great resources! Glad I stopped over to your first. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! I will have to add the books Diane listed to my STACK of things to get to!
DeleteAnd I just love James White's stuff.