This is an introduction to Evid3nc3's masterfully done deconversion series. I revisit it from time to time. This time the idea of graceful degradation stuck out to me, as I am now researching the ins and outs of belief and the whys of deconversion. For example, how is it that some can not take the bible literally and still hold faith, while others see it differently?
Graceful degradation is the ability of a computer, machine, electronic system or network to maintain limited functionality even when a large portion of it has been destroyed or rendered inoperative. The purpose of graceful degradation is to prevent catastrophic failure. (google)
As he says in the video the concept of God is a mega-belief held together by several smaller beliefs, and it's only after enough of these smaller beliefs are challenged that the system does break down.
Graceful degradation is the ability of a computer, machine, electronic system or network to maintain limited functionality even when a large portion of it has been destroyed or rendered inoperative. The purpose of graceful degradation is to prevent catastrophic failure. (google)
As he says in the video the concept of God is a mega-belief held together by several smaller beliefs, and it's only after enough of these smaller beliefs are challenged that the system does break down.
If you have time, you should watch (or listen to- I usually do that) the whole series. It is haunting and real.
ReplyDeleteEvid3nc3 's series/videos are masterful, touching, heartfelt and honest. I too like to revisit them from time to time. I agree with you both regarding graceful degradation. It was like an epiphany to have a "name" to call what I experienced regarding faith/belief over 2-3 decades ... every time something new conflicted with what I understood regarding theism/faith/god, my brain would just reconfigure how I defined the whole lot until it hardly seemed like anything recognizable to any theologic worldview. The final straw came pretty much when I finally learned how the bible came to be as a book/word of god ... clearly, it is anything BUT the word of god and the concept of inerrancy is completely absurd. Even to suggest that it's even inspired by god is one heck of a stretch. But I digress, all the little chinks in the armor and modifications fit neat and nice under "Graceful Degradation" ... very gracefully :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe this is that shades of grey area in christian faith that one can hold for such a long time. Sure there are some holes here and there but as long as you can still make it fly you can maintain in the greys. Until there just isn't enough left to keep it airborne and the dark greys all turn to black.
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty much spot on. But you have to remember that the belief and infrastructure for that belief was built in through early age indoctrination and it becomes your practical, every day truth. A truth like that just cannot dissolve over night because it's a pretty heavy lift to want a person to instantly change their minds and automatically recognize that every person of trust and authority in their childhood/adolescence LIED to them - knowingly or not.
DeleteThat's true, Robert, and beliefs can be cemented even further into place as adults through confirmation bias, cognitive dissonance, and other logic fallacies. The belief has created a sophisticated and complex maze in which to the extent humanly possible all the exits have been blocked over the centuries. It isn't just that the journey through the greys is typically a long one a believer can get stuck indefinitely anywhere along the way.
DeleteGood, insightful video, but I'm a bit surprised that he had "bible" at the hub of the wheel, while "personal relationship" was merely a spoke. For me, and for most deconverted Xians I encounter, it is our (perceived) personal relationship with "Jesus" that is the last thing to go, including what we perceive "Him" to be doing in our lives. IOW, we're talking our personal experiences. As we know, the Bible doesn't necessarily have to be inerrant in order for it to uphold the believer's worldview. On the other hand, if there's no "Jesus"......
ReplyDeleteI tend to agree boomSLANG. Atheists regularly attack the bible and for the most part, it accomplishes little to nothing for the "true" Christian. HOWEVER, when you take away the personhood of "Jesus" and are able to convince believers of the unlikelihood of his miracles and, most of all, his resurrection, then things begin to crumble. As you said, it's that "personal relationship" that holds it all together. Once that's destroyed, the inevitable occurs.
DeleteIn the series, the bible was next to last and personal relationship came right before the end. That's very much how it worked for me. I totally agree that personal experiences, once seen in the light of "it could have been something else and not God," are the last straw.
ReplyDelete