Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Lovely Story

I noticed immediately that she was wearing a gold crucifix necklace. She was with what appeared to me to be her husband and daughter. She glowed when she spoke and her words and voice were sweet and kind. It appeared that her husband had had a stroke or some other kind of disability as she ordered for him. He also had the same glow, though.


The daughter was nice, too. They used lots of pleases and thank-yous.  But it was the glow that was the unmistakable- I've got the joy joy joy joy....



As I gathered their drinks and bread and salads I began to think about what the story of Jesus is, what it means to people. A perfect human/divine lays down life to win eternal life for all who love him. I remember when believing this made a huge difference in the way I saw the world and treated others. Even if it was all just a lovely story...



believing in Jesus really did change my life, even if now, I don't really believe he was ever real.







My sister and I were discussing a conversation she had with a co-worker about religion ("the gays") and all that. She (sis) is very liberal in her politics and being as we share a gay relative, this kind of thing does not set well with her. We talked about how faith can be a good thing if it helps someone through life. I guess I should have left it at that and I may have been the glowing lady with the crucifix.





9 comments:

  1. This piece caused time to still for a moment...the scene is captured like a photo shot. Beautifully written Alice.

    As I was driving down the highway the other week, a Jesus billboard caught my eye. I can't recall exactly what it said now...something about "I love You. [signed] Jesus." If I recall correctly, the background was a deep orangish-red color with black lettering and the fish symbol was on the billboard.

    I thought, "I wonder what folks would think if I put up a bunch of Zeus or Apollo or Hercules or some other god hero billboards.It's really no different." I didn't think that in a cynical manner; but rather in a matter of fact manner. It brought home again to me how the Jesus story, as taught in Christian Fundieism, is no longer real for me.

    Thanks for sharing Alice! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It brought home again to me how the Jesus story, as taught in Christian Fundieism, is no longer real for me.

      That's a good way to put it, Carol. The idea of a hero is something we all share I suppose.


      Church signs always catch my eye, too. One recently said


      "Jesus loves you..."


      My daughter read it aloud as

      Jesus loves you DOT DOT DOT. as if the dots were something ominous...it was funny :)


      Thanks always for your kind words Carol, I hope you have a great Sunday!

      Delete
    2. I'm rather fond of dots. ;)

      Delete
  2. "A perfect human/divine lays down life to win eternal life for all who love him."

    'Sounded good back in the day. Now on the outside of the Christian bubble it's pretty clear that there's strings attached, in this case, the "love" must be reciprocated in order to benefit from the laying down of life.

    At the end of the day, Jesus laid down his life(for three days) for Christians, and Christians, only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father endured and at times thrived during the last decade and a half of his life, after stokes had physically wasted him. His faith in his understanding of Christianity being the key. At times I marveled at his spirit through it all. My mom also clings tenaciously to "the old rugged cross," now in her twilight years. I know many such cases, but those two best. Lovely stories can serve a purpose, I believe. I remember when my Christian faith made a difference in the way I lived my life. I took it all very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug,

      I see examples of this all around me, too. I don't write too much anymore about why I find that Christianity is just not true. It is true to many people and it not being true to me is not going to convince anyone else that it is not. We all hold things deep down in our selves that we know are true. You know? :)

      Delete
    2. I do. :) But also I have learned to appreciate the value of myth - although my parents wouldn't think of their religion as mythology. However, understanding how religious mythology can speak to people allows me to be more sympathetic. There is much about the character of Jesus (as presented in the canonical gospels) that I like and that inspires me, especially his compassion for the poor and disdain for the greedy rich.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..