My oldest two are doing 100% online public school. They are both doing well, my son loves the structure it gives him (he's a workaholic) and my daughter (the opposite of the former) has been doing her best to self-motivate and get her stuff done. What has really been wonderful is that she had the opportuinity to take Japanese this fall and she is loving it. She's already a huge fan of all things Japan, so I think this is going to be super fun for her even if is IS just for fun in the long run. They are in the 8th and 9th grades.
My fourth born is in the hybrid program, where he schools here three days a week and then goes to a learning center two days. It has been great for easing him into being away from me. He is super clingy and the independence from me is much needed. He was the only one that I cried about leaving that first day, but his school is very small, laid back, and the kids seem to have all come from homeschool situations, so he is very much with his own kind. The only drawbacks I see so far in this is that there is no transportation provided, so one would have to be in a postition to do that and that I have to be pretty involved in teaching him the three days he is here, but so far I have enjoyed it. All the materials are provided and there is a lot of support available from his teacher and other parents. He is in the third grade.
The other three (grades 4, 1, and K) are attending the brick and mortar Marion County public school. Little Miss and Mr. have been doing well and enjoy their day, but they are really starting from scratch. My older boy is having some difficulty academically as well as some trouble with mean kids. We've had to tell him that he's going to have to stand up for himself. I worry that the situation with the kids will hinder his progress in learning and make him dread school. I do not want that. I plan to monitor the situation closely and after parent-teacher confrences in a few weeks, have a better idea of what is really going on.
This year is highly experimental and things are always open to change. So far I have been more impressed with the hybrid than anything else, but time will tell.
![]() |
| Hatsune Miku (and a Creeper) |
My fourth born is in the hybrid program, where he schools here three days a week and then goes to a learning center two days. It has been great for easing him into being away from me. He is super clingy and the independence from me is much needed. He was the only one that I cried about leaving that first day, but his school is very small, laid back, and the kids seem to have all come from homeschool situations, so he is very much with his own kind. The only drawbacks I see so far in this is that there is no transportation provided, so one would have to be in a postition to do that and that I have to be pretty involved in teaching him the three days he is here, but so far I have enjoyed it. All the materials are provided and there is a lot of support available from his teacher and other parents. He is in the third grade.
The other three (grades 4, 1, and K) are attending the brick and mortar Marion County public school. Little Miss and Mr. have been doing well and enjoy their day, but they are really starting from scratch. My older boy is having some difficulty academically as well as some trouble with mean kids. We've had to tell him that he's going to have to stand up for himself. I worry that the situation with the kids will hinder his progress in learning and make him dread school. I do not want that. I plan to monitor the situation closely and after parent-teacher confrences in a few weeks, have a better idea of what is really going on.
This year is highly experimental and things are always open to change. So far I have been more impressed with the hybrid than anything else, but time will tell.

Firstborn will start third grade (?!?!?!?!?!HowIsThatPossible?!?!?!?!?!?!) next week. Unfortunately, we have another year before Secondborn starts kindergarten, so we're trying him out in an all-day preschool/daycare thing. I've been nothing but pleased with Firstborn's school so far, but the daycare seems... I dunno, pleasant, but maybe a little disorganized. I think it'll be okay, but Secondborn is starting it this week and I'll have a better idea once he's attended for a few days.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right to keep a cautious eye on your older boy; it might be worth calling or emailing his teacher just to make him or her aware of your concerns and get his or her impressions of the situation.
(?!?!?!?!?!HowIsThatPossible?!?!?!?!?!?!)
Delete:)
My sister has a little one who isn't going to be going to Kindergarten for another two years and they are looking into some kind of preschool for her, too.
As far as my big guy, I don't know how much is factual and how much is exaggeration, so I will keep a close eye on him. I am wondering if maybe the hybrid thing would be good for him, too, but it's way too soon to switch gears this year yet.
I'm glad things are going so well (aside from the minor mean kid issues…hopefully that will all clear up soon!) It's funny that your "oldest" is really into Japan. Elijah is really into Japan, too and has been saying for a few years that he wants to move there after he graduates college! Not me-- I like Indiana just fine :)
ReplyDeleteRachel wants to go to Japan, too. I wouldn't mind visiting myself.
Delete