Tuesday, September 24, 2013

And Baby Makes Three



In a couple of years they have built
A home sweet home
With a couple of kids running in the yard
Of Desmond and Molly Jones

Oblidi Oblida- The Beatles



After moving into the house we continued our quest for learning about God. My husband was very passionate about God and who He really was. We gave money to TV evangelists, we sponsored a child from the Dominican Republic. Since we had the room, my sister moved in with us for awhile while she was having a hard time. We also had a kid that we knew who was down on his luck stay with us for a few months as well. We wanted to be used of God to bring people to Himself. Eternal doom was not on my radar yet as part of the package, I was just so in love with this God who had saved me from myself.



We were trying to live the Christian life, but that started to take a backseat to life getting in the way. Marriage was starting to feel more like work and less like fun, I suppose. We worked in separate towns with increasingly separate friends and found that each of us was doing our own thing more and more. I don't think that we were on the same page as far as what we wanted out of life. It seemed that we were growing apart.



It frightens me to think that this could have just continued and the marriage may have ended, but it didn't, to which I am very thankful. One night I got home from work and my husband told me he thought we should start a family. We had talked about it at various times before this, but felt we weren't ready financially or otherwise. He thought now was the time. We did need to settle down and act more responsibly. I don't know if that was the reason he wanted to have a baby, but it was true. Plus, I really did love him and I know he really did love me, we just needed to grow up.


Six weeks later I was driving home from work and had to stop the car to throw up. I was pregnant.


We were the first on either side of our families to have a child, so we were lavishly given many gifts and attention.  I worked as a waitress up until a few days before the baby was born. I imagined I would take a short maternity leave and then go back to work. Most of my friends had kids and worked and I figured we would do the same.


Before the birth, my husband had quit his restaurant job in order to find a more adult vocation with more family friendly hours, benefits, better pay and such. He was taking this very seriously and was stepping up to be a responsible husband and father.


On the morning of my 27th birthday, it was about time for him to get up for work when I realized my water had broken. He asked "Is it time?" and called into work and we proceeded to do the things people do when you know the baby is coming very soon.



After about 10 hours of labor, not awful at all thanks to the wonderful advent of pain meds, we were parents. A little girl was born, 8 pounds 1 ounce, perfectly healthy arrived on my birthday. What a gift.





<previous part


next part>

10 comments:

  1. Awww My J was the first born on either side too. Lots of attention....and lots of unwanted advice came my way! LOL. What a change that was right? I think nothing quite prepares you enough for that first baby. By week two I was sitting on the edge of the bed crying! Cant wait to read more.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. Nothing prepared me for the first one.

      Delete
  2. By the way I love all the songs references in the beginning of your posts...very very cool!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne, I love quotes and song lyrics.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Once again there was something I was going to ask, but I know the answer will be, "Hang on! I'm getting to that!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I await to see how having the baby changes things!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..