Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Popcorn!

I was wanting some popcorn yesterday and we happened to finally be all out of the store-bought stash.

That meant time to start using our garden produce.



Back in September we harvested.



My handsome fellers




What beautiful colors!




I took a few cobs out of storage yesterday.


Taking it off the cob can be a bit tedious and painful...




But very very yummy!


It was great, and it worked, and I think we shall have delicious popcorn through the winter.



My stove top popcorn method: Cover the bottom of a pan with oil. Put in a few kernels, once those testers are popped add enough to cover the bottom of the pan (I don't measure). Wait until popping resumes and shake pan to make sure none of it burns..burnt popcorn isn't so great. Once popping slows considerably, I take it off the heat and wait another minute or two. Transfer to big ol' container and salt and/or butter as desired.



This post is linked up at This Good Steward!
Wednesday's World of Work




19 comments:

  1. Neat! I guess the corn stores all winter? Is the corn used for popping different from the corn used for cooking, or do you just harvest it differently? I need to learn these things. I'm learning about chickens this week, and am eating fresh eggs. I really enjoy learning about the different ways that eliminate some of my grocery shopping. Thanks for linking!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the basket of corn you harvested!! It does look so lovely!

    Isn't it fantastic to grow your own?

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! and wow my kids would love to try this, I will have to put it on my garden list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun...I am sharing this with my 5 year old who just ask about where popcorn came from yesterday...wow you grow your own..I am applauding

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Petra,

    I sure hope it stores. As far as I know since the kernels are dried, it should be good for some time.

    I don't really know if popcorn is a different kind of corn in general. We bought special seed for it, but I think just about any dried corn would work.

    You wait to harvest until it is dry and then just let it continue to dry in a cool dry place.

    Chickens..that's on our to-do. I've been buying fresh eggs from a guy here locally..yum:)



    Hi Jennifer,

    It is a great feeling:) The kids were impressed since they were part of the process.


    Hi Katherine,

    We had to fight a lot of raccoons for it, but I think it is worth it.


    Hi Janette,

    I'm so glad you can use this as a teaching tool:) Popcorn is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really DO have homemade popcorn, even growing your own corn!! I have been hearing that the popcorn in microwave bags is harmful for your health. Something about the bag lining, I think. Your basket of corn looks like it was taken from a great height!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ginny,

    It wasn't taken from high up, the corn is just really a lot smaller than sweet corn...really a lot smaller.

    It's funny to see the tiny "popcorns".

    I don't do microwave popcorn, I'm afraid I'm too cheap:)



    Hi musemater,

    Thank you....I am so happy it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I've never given much thought about popping my own corn from harvested cobs. Hmmm...wonder if my BIL still has some. Would love to try this. We absolutely love popcorn! I pop it on the stove top just like you. Thanks for sharing. Happy Wednesday! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Larri,

    If you do try with your BIL's corn let me know how it worked out! Sounds like maybe a future WOW post for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so AWESOME!!! Now I am in the mood for popcorn, but I bet mine won't be as tasty as your popcorn.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds yummy especiallt with your own corn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you are quite industrious to make your own popcorn from your own crops. Couldn't do that here in Suburbia Land, so I just continue to use the store bought stuff.

    Haven't made popcorn in a long time. Seeing your picture of popped corn makes me have popcorn cravings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joanne,

    I was quite tasty, and I was surprised.

    Hi SarahElisabeth,

    The kiddos helped with the harvest and that was a nice time spent with them:)


    Kansas Bob,

    I am so happy you stopped by- thanks for following too:)


    MW,

    We eat popcorn quite a bit. It's cheap and easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I always thought was only available at Walmart? :-)

    Thanks for your recent comment on TOGB

    Take Care and Have a Nice Day :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! We have grown popcorn in our garden before, as well...and it truly is delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Katy:)

    It was really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We grew our own popcorn this year too! So much fun for the children!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..