Sunday, July 10, 2011

This is Kind of Where I'm At.. . .

A fellow bloggeress posted this several weeks ago. I have since read it through a couple of times and I can see exactly what she is saying:



The following post was birthed from a letter to a blogger’s question, regarding John Piper’s and Rick Warren’s theology.  I didn’t want to leave a book-length comment and opted to send an email instead. My intent was not to debate anyone’s theology but to address some thoughts that I’ve been struggling with for quite some time now. The question was merely an invitation for me to finally exhale…
I’ve edited the letter as a blog post, and have stuck a few extra thoughts between the lines for clarification (well okay, a few more than a few extra thoughts).
Dear ____,
In a recent email, a friend seemed a bit worried about sounding too mythical, and I knew exactly what she meant on so many levels! To make what could be a long story very short, it seems that some bloggers are walking tiptoed on eggshells… (ask me how I know).
I’ve been dubbed heretical because I would not take sides with rudeness; have been defriended and snubbed because I don’t join ‘ism clubs, hunt for heretics under every rock, or throw the baby out with the bathwater… (and I don’t even go out of my way to ask for confrontation). But, enough about me already.
But wait…there’s more.   read on!


I've been doing quite a bit of stepping back lately, wondering what it is that I do believe and why. I have been surprised that even when I think I am completely only taking doctrine from the scripture was very unsettled to discover that that wasn't the case in all matters.  We all bring traditional baggage, preconceived notions, personal preferences and experiences to the party even when we are sure we are not


I like what Petra said about always being teachable...that is not being tossed to and fro, or "double-minded" but being clay in the Potter's hands, so to speak. He does let us go on in bad thinking or wrong theology for a time, for a reason.  


I pray often "don't let me be deceived!", but I have to trust Him in all things.



Trust Him, not any "ists", "isms", or creeds.


Photo from here 
From the beauty of creation, to the soul of every last being...HE is in control.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so glad you shared this. I too pray as you do and confess I really needed this post this morning!

    Have a lovely day~
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post from beginning to end. I don't blog on these issues, but I do enjoy reading and learning and going before the Lord on my own questions. Well said

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God that he is sovereign and that he said,"Follow me."
    And thanks for posting this and the link. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies:) I was just doing some reading yesterday morning. I had to stay home from going to church due to some sickies and it was a nice time to think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ma, this is a timely (nothing new under the sun) subject!
    I came across an interesting program that teaches "rightly dividing the Word" that you might enjoy: http://www.forgottentruths.com/
    To my surprise, he shows that the Bible is in 3 sections - that what was in the beginning, differs from now and in Hebrews is for a different time to come (dispensation of Grace completed and Israel back in focus).
    It clicks with what you and Petra are stating - God doesn't change but his programs do, all working for/toward His Good Plan.
    "Thru the Bible in 7 Hours" book is a free gift and insightful study guide.
    He stresses people to "grow up" in God's Truth and not be led astray by what makes the flesh feel good!
    God's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ma,
    Sounds like the Holy Spirit is moving you! A long while ago I too had to ask what is it that I believe and I was led to read and search the scriptures. As I read the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to new things in scripture that I have read before. Really cool! The word is living and active and new meanings are always revealed to those who search.
    Creeds, isms, and ists are man made but Scripture is Spirit breathed therefore supersedes anything of man. I always question man and weigh what they say against the Living Word, if it lines up then I will accept it if not then I will dig deeper and question more or just ignore it. This is the reason I love and value what Elizabeth Prata says, everything so far weighs even with the Scriptures because she takes it from there and from men and women who take their teaching from there.
    Jesus is our Lord and He should be front and center, not a teaching of a person. This is why I do not like the Catholic church for they want people to focus on them and not Jesus. I am not saying there are no Christians in the Catholic religion, I beleive there are for my family is Catholic and they love Jesus but I believe the majority of Catholics have their eyes on the wrong thing...man instead of Jesus.
    Keep our eyes on Jesus and walk in His footsteps then everything, good and bad, will always turn out for the very best.

    Thanks for this post, very deep and great for slicing away unwanted stuff.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi DC,

    I am familiar with Brother Jordan's teachings and have learned a great deal from him. I definitely think and become increasingly convinced that "right division" is very important.

    Even in The New Testament part of the bible itself there are divisions indeed. Thanks for stopping by:)

    Child of God,

    I agree about the RCC. Even though I was once heavily involved with it, I know I was a Child of God myself the entire time. I definitely had my eye on the wrong thing at the time, but like you said, it is all for the best in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ma, I'm every day seeing how much I do not know. That's because the more I read God's Word the more he shows me that I missed before. It is living waters quenching our thirst! And I need to be filled continually. Praise our Saviour Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Ma, I so very much agree with you! I've pulled back, and honestly do not know how to proceed from here. I see so many following carrots on a stick. They've come out of deception only to cling to their new-found ism. It's not so much the the isms (as they can certainly contain much precious truth) but the 'clinging' that wearies me. One of the main defenses/excuses I hear is that labels or isms define or reflect their stand or defense of 'the' truth. They seem to fear that simply having Christ define them is too broad and must be narrowed down with their true ist isms to be safe and secure from misunderstandings. What happens here so often is that we become unteachable. But as long as we are on this side of heaven, we must be pliable---teachable by God Himself! Is it any wonder that He allows us (so stubborn and stiff-necked) to be mislead? However, I'm not knocking the study of sound theological and doctrinal books or isms, but scripture itself encourages us to do right by the knowledge we acquire by trusting in and learning from HIM! Thanks again, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. musemater,

    I totally agree with that. I also find that until a person is prepared to have their views challenged or corrected, they just won't hear it.

    Exactly Petra,

    I find that most every creed or ism that I know of has some nugget of truth in it, but it is clinging to these and turning a blind eye to the parts that don't line up with the Word that are troubling. And I get tired of the "heretic hunting" (everyone thinks everyone else is one as you know)meme on so many sites that I just need to step back from it too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..