Romans 14
The Mr. used an illustration for the kids when trying to explain Christian liberty in this chapter: "hamburger guy and salad guy."
1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.2For one believeth that he may eat all things: (hamburger guy)
another, who is weak, eateth herbs.(salad guy)
3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Hamburger guy shouldn't be all exasperated with salad guy for his perceived legalism and salad guy shouldn't judge hamburger guy for what he deems to be appropriate eatin'.
4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
It's none of my beeswax what another man eats (or drinks, or listens to, or watches on television, or reads). It is to God alone that a brother or sister must answer. The Holy Spirit will convict each of us in the areas into which we need convicting.
5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Salad guy may set aside a day of the week for special observation while hamburger guy may worship the Lord in spirit and in truth and see every day as consecrated.
6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it.
Salad guy gives God thanks for the special day and hamburger guy gives God thanks for not deeming the day as necessarily special but rejoices equally in every day.
He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Hamburger guy enjoys his burger and gives God thanks, while salad guy abstains from meat and gives God thanks.
Simply and well put, Ma!! Also agree 100% :)
ReplyDeleteNovusanima
I love this! I will never read those passages the same ever again! Seriously, this is packed full of timely, very timely wisdom! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteLove the Mr.'s deep explanation! Made me laugh because that is SO something my husband would say! Sometimes simple does it!
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I should memorize this passage. Maybe have it tattooed on my arm so I can be constantly reminded!
Very good explanation of this "difficult" principle. Salad's guys need to let hamburger guys answer to God and their conscience instead of making "lists" of what a believer is or isn't.
ReplyDeleteDon't get me wrong, many hamburger guys need to learn to be gracious when salad guys want to stay with salads.
That is the point, the weaker bro. doesn't condemn the stronger bro. and the stronger bro. doesn't condemn the weaker bro.
We will give an account to God for ourselves.
Good post!
Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29
Gospel-driven Disciples
Hi novusanima,
ReplyDeleteI have always really loved this passage too, because it lets me know that I only have one Judge:)
Petra, thank you:) My hubby really has a way with explaining things.
Gregg, I agree. Although salad people can seem to be judgmental at times, hamburger people also need to be sensitive..I hope to get into that more in the next part.
Mrs. Jennifer,
I loved that my hubby came up with this. Men can really use food to say great things!
I like hamburgers and salad. I have a clear conscience about both. No conviction at all! :-)
ReplyDeleteHehee, cute! I love the explanation.
ReplyDelete<><
I love this! I've been both (only NOT a guy, obviously!!)
ReplyDeleteNow, where's that Big Mac and a tall cool one to go with it??!!
hahaha!
Great post!
What a great example! Your Mr. is a smart guy :-)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Marcia
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteGot home late last night (with my nicely cleaned up laptop which I put back on it's place on the desk, ahhhhh) and put a comment on this blog entry, but don't see it here....was I dreaming the whole thing???
I get a little (a lot?) self-righteous being the stronger "guy" (gal, actually, lol) and forget that judging the salad guy for judging me makes me guilty of his error too, sheesh.
The Mr. is good to have around. :-)
The Mr. is good to have around:)
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how this salad/burger thing works both ways....knocking either side down!
Welcome back :)
love it Ma....so simple yet so profound!Yaddy
ReplyDeleteMa,
ReplyDeleteOh, how I LOVE the explanation of this passage of scripture using the Hamburger Guy and Salad Guy. Your husband is a brilliant man (but of course, you already knew that :)!
Also, I'm sorry it's been awhile since my last visit. I haven't forgotten about ya! :)
-L. Rose
Hi Lady Rose,
ReplyDeleteNice to see you, thanks for your kind words:)