Continuing in Romans 12
Oh boy, is this one not easy. I have had to put this to the test quite a bit recently...and evil, perhaps a strong word, but let's just say I've had my feelings (or perhaps pride) hurt a few times in the not-so-distant past.
These instances made me to stop, with God's grace, and really think about how to treat the parties involved.
Do I let my flesh take over and shun, or mope, or avoid?

How would a child of God behave?
Apparently, this verse isn't really about what I assumed. I used to think it meant that being nice to people who are your enemies will just result in greater punishment for them. The Mr. seemed to think that it meant that being nice to your enemies would really make them mad. But I did find another interpretation saying something to the effect that it meant that if one was gracious to enemies, God would use this to benefit everyone. Here is a link giving some commentary about it. *Here is a link from the comments section to a post written about this by a reader here:)
This reminds me of what our Lord said as well:
17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Oh boy, is this one not easy. I have had to put this to the test quite a bit recently...and evil, perhaps a strong word, but let's just say I've had my feelings (or perhaps pride) hurt a few times in the not-so-distant past.
These instances made me to stop, with God's grace, and really think about how to treat the parties involved.
Do I let my flesh take over and shun, or mope, or avoid?

How would a child of God behave?
18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.I love this verse. It just says (I think) if it is up to you, be at peace with everyone. You don't have to make people like you or want to befriend you or even become a believer, but just be at peace. And if one won't be at peace with you Paul goes on to say....
19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.Don't worry about what your enemies may do, God will take care of it.
20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Apparently, this verse isn't really about what I assumed. I used to think it meant that being nice to people who are your enemies will just result in greater punishment for them. The Mr. seemed to think that it meant that being nice to your enemies would really make them mad. But I did find another interpretation saying something to the effect that it meant that if one was gracious to enemies, God would use this to benefit everyone. Here is a link giving some commentary about it. *Here is a link from the comments section to a post written about this by a reader here:)
21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good
This reminds me of what our Lord said as well:
Matthew 5:44-45 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good
ReplyDeleteMy Husband wrote that chapter and verse number on his helmet when he was in Iraq. Thank you for reminding me. Simply Powerful! Blessings, Joanne
Hi Ma :)
ReplyDeleteThere's an ongoing situation at work concerning some "troublemakers" that just won't go away, sigh, and I've been tested (and continue failing that test) concerning these folks. The last situation involves the transportation of patients.
Cat scan is in our department. They think nothing of letting a patient wait an hour before a nurse brings them back to the nursing module. The rest of us bring our patients to and from xray dept, and if we have time, bring back the cat scan patients also.
Long story shorter, there was a blowout between a nurse and an xray tech, so she decided none of us should transport cat scan patients anymore.....do the patients get a vote? Then our manager says "we are supposed to transport cat scan patients"....but cat scan never transports their own patients....IS THAT FAIR???? I don't care. I cannot make them transport their own patients, but I can help their patients if I have time (and energy, lol) but the troublemakers are on the other side saying they refuse, and one (that previously tried to have me fired) lashed out at me yesterday about something benign and unrelated, her face changed into something really hideous and demonic looking as she screamed at me. I remained strangely calm throughout that (which isn't me at all! Thank the Lord, I was so baffled by the situation, I didn't know how to react, lol). I'm trying to get on a different shift (11am-7:30pm) and I found myself begging Jesus to make it happen soon yesterday....but on the way home, I started thinking some ugly thoughts about some of the people on my work shift, and a whisper said to me "pray for your enemies" and I had to release them to Him.
It's a never ending battle for me there, sigh...
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteWonderful devotional, thank you. I wrote a post on this called Heaps of Coal
http://cprezra823.blogspot.com/2010/12/heaps-of-coal.html
The Jewish meaning behind heaping coal on the head is not the same as our North American meaning. This, to us, seems revengeful but in the Jewish custom this was a life giving thing to do.
People in the middle east carry around a lot of things on their head and coal was one of these things. In the old days before matches it was very diffucult to start a fire so people would keep the coals smoldering so when a fire was needed it wasn't a hard job to get one going. So in saying you are heaping coals on one's head was saying you are giving them life, for we cannot live without fire.
If you have a chance take a look at the post I explained it better.
Blessings,
<><
Wow! - to Joanne's comment! Thanks to her for letting us know that and giving me some perspective! What a blessing!
ReplyDeleteThe burning coals part does make me think of different scripture that talks about burning coals used to purify. I'm going to go check out the commentary now (probably should have done that before I decided to open my big mouth!).
Hi Child of God,
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot for your input, I will check out your post:)
Susan,
I know what you mean about sometimes being amazed at how HE restrains us. When people see Christ in US, I imagine it really throws them for a loop.
I agree with you Mrs. Jennifer, about Joanne's comment. Wonderful:)
I can think of a place in Isaiah where there is a burning coal used to purify.
Child of God's post reminds me of:
ReplyDeleteHeb 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
and also
Mat 12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
(I've seen "smoking flax" translated "burning ember" which has me thinking that flame or burning has to do with something that God has given, life and flame/fire being associated to each other, and the eternal flame the fire that never goes out, being eternal life.)
Also, makes me think of the tongues of fire over the heads of people at Pentacost.
Also the burning bush:)
ReplyDeleteone of my favorite chapters and Joanne's comment helped top it off! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteI needed to read this today. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading Vilisi,
ReplyDeleteIt's funny,
I had an issue that was on my mind "avenging-wise" that God has COMPLETELY taken care of. It was unbeknownst to me, just a misunderstanding.
Praise the Lord!
"...that God has COMPLETELY taken care of. It was unbeknownst to me, just a misunderstanding."
ReplyDeleteThat is so encouraging Ma, and so like Him :-)
It is so like Him:) We worry fret and stew and then BAM!
ReplyDeleteI am ashamed of myself for the things that did go through my mind, but it is war after all.
Again a sign of His faithfulness and that we can always depend on Him.