We really enjoy Through the Bible with Les Feldick. We were watching last week and he was using an illustration in rightly dividing. We got a chuckle out of it. I put a short two-minute clip below.
I'm not real clear on dispensationalism, however, I agree that the is: before the cross and after the cross before the fall and after the fall before the flood and after the flood before the law and after the law before the diaspora and after the diaspora etc...
so in that sense, these are different dispensations. God doesn't change, but we do, or rather, civilization does, so how He deals with mankind as a whole changes as the society at large changes.
You've got it! Dispensationalism comes in various forms, but at the truest sense, I think one HAS to look at the scriptures with some sort of division, or it just becomes "blenderized" as Les Feldick always says.
The blenderizing is what causes so much confusion...
Are we to keep the food laws? What did Jesus mean by we have to keep the law? What was the big hubub in Acts 15 all about? etc.
Those kinds of things.
Dispensationalists I find tend to be very anti-Calvinistic and Calvinists tend to be very anti-dispensational (as far as the millennium and a future for Israel).
Where's the 'a la-mode'? Seriously, this is where I part company with the 'reformed' view. They insist on an amill view of end times, saying the 1,000 year reign isn't literal, as well as a host of other confusing beliefs. I do believe you have to read the bible in the sense of dispensations as we study the different dispensations of time. Another annoying 'trait' of some who hold to a reformed view is their arrogance, they can border on almost a pharissee-ic {sp?}attitude! I do pray for them, sometimes it's easy to get puffed up when one has an abundance of head knowledge, yet, no heart to go with that.
I'm with you:) While I agree on the reformed view of soteriology, I don't think the vast majority of them have considered anything but an amil view. That's why we need to be always reforming!
Jim McClarty is a teacher I really share a lot in common with. He is reformed and "dispensational" so to speak. He discusses that in this post.
I too agree with their view of soteriology. I have watched a wonderful video by Jim McClarty on Eph 2:8,9 which blows arminians out of the water! If you haven't viewed it, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dodm97SY4
I attend a reformed Baptist church who, thankfully, does NOT hold to the a-mill view!!
I'm not real clear on dispensationalism, however, I agree that the is:
ReplyDeletebefore the cross and after the cross
before the fall and after the fall before the flood and after the flood
before the law and after the law
before the diaspora and after the diaspora
etc...
so in that sense, these are different dispensations. God doesn't change, but we do, or rather, civilization does, so how He deals with mankind as a whole changes as the society at large changes.
You've got it! Dispensationalism comes in various forms, but at the truest sense, I think one HAS to look at the scriptures with some sort of division, or it just becomes "blenderized" as Les Feldick always says.
ReplyDeleteThe blenderizing is what causes so much confusion...
Are we to keep the food laws?
What did Jesus mean by we have to keep the law?
What was the big hubub in Acts 15 all about? etc.
Those kinds of things.
Dispensationalists I find tend to be very anti-Calvinistic and Calvinists tend to be very anti-dispensational (as far as the millennium and a future for Israel).
I like to take the best of both worlds:)
Btw,
ReplyDeleteThat pie looks so yummy! :-P
Where's the 'a la-mode'? Seriously, this is where I part company with the 'reformed' view. They insist on an amill view of end times, saying the 1,000 year reign isn't literal, as well as a host of other confusing beliefs. I do believe you have to read the bible in the sense of dispensations as we study the different dispensations of time. Another annoying 'trait' of some who hold to a reformed view is their arrogance, they can border on almost a pharissee-ic {sp?}attitude! I do pray for them, sometimes it's easy to get puffed up when one has an abundance of head knowledge, yet, no heart to go with that.
ReplyDeleteLyn
I'm with you:) While I agree on the reformed view of soteriology, I don't think the vast majority of them have considered anything but an amil view. That's why we need to be always reforming!
ReplyDeleteJim McClarty is a teacher I really share a lot in common with. He is reformed and "dispensational" so to speak. He discusses that in this post.
http://ma-sblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/plank-of-wood.html
I don't agree with everything he says, but that goes with any teacher.
I too agree with their view of soteriology. I have watched a wonderful video by Jim McClarty on Eph 2:8,9 which blows arminians out of the water! If you haven't viewed it, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3dodm97SY4
ReplyDeleteI attend a reformed Baptist church who, thankfully, does NOT hold to the a-mill view!!
Lyn
Yes, I have seen that one...its great.
ReplyDelete