I walked into work on a Sunday a few weeks ago and started to run food and fill ice and things like I always do before my first table gets seated. One tray was ready to run to table 27, so I ran it out and saw that the guests sitting there were the somewhat regular Christian couple and a guest.
"Hi Alice," the man greeted me warmly. And I greeted back. I was truly glad to see them.
"I was just thinking about you this morning," I said. I really was. I don't work every Sunday and they had just been on my mind while getting ready for work.
They asked about my mom and me and said they still keep us in their thoughts and prayers. They seem like very sincere people.
They most always have at least one guest and it is not usually the same guest. I can imagine how they would invite someone to lunch after church, probably for fellowship or evangelistic purposes. I've seen them with other older couples, black, white, Hispanic, young people, sometimes there are six or eight of them and sometimes it's just them. The man always makes the "give me the check" motion at an appropriate time, and they always tip well.
I told Theresa who was their server this day.
"Those people at 27 are really nice."
"Yes, she said, they asked me if they could pray for me."
"They do that, they are good tippers, too."
"Cool."
They came into the lounge this past Saturday by themselves while I was working and I was their server. He asked me if there was anything they could pray for again, and it didn't take me long to think of something. Life is always got something that one wishes could magically be fixed.
I wonder how they would be if they were not religious. I mean, I think some people are just good people regardless of their beliefs or lack thereof. I know that I have been surprised in the other way by people (at work) who talk about God, but act very ungodly.
"Hi Alice," the man greeted me warmly. And I greeted back. I was truly glad to see them.
"I was just thinking about you this morning," I said. I really was. I don't work every Sunday and they had just been on my mind while getting ready for work.
They asked about my mom and me and said they still keep us in their thoughts and prayers. They seem like very sincere people.
They most always have at least one guest and it is not usually the same guest. I can imagine how they would invite someone to lunch after church, probably for fellowship or evangelistic purposes. I've seen them with other older couples, black, white, Hispanic, young people, sometimes there are six or eight of them and sometimes it's just them. The man always makes the "give me the check" motion at an appropriate time, and they always tip well.
I told Theresa who was their server this day.
"Those people at 27 are really nice."
"Yes, she said, they asked me if they could pray for me."
"They do that, they are good tippers, too."
"Cool."
They came into the lounge this past Saturday by themselves while I was working and I was their server. He asked me if there was anything they could pray for again, and it didn't take me long to think of something. Life is always got something that one wishes could magically be fixed.
I wonder how they would be if they were not religious. I mean, I think some people are just good people regardless of their beliefs or lack thereof. I know that I have been surprised in the other way by people (at work) who talk about God, but act very ungodly.
Very nice to hear from you again, Alice. If the magic doesn't come from some supernatural source then it must come from within the person them self. People just do some amazingly good things and that helps all of us feel good about being humans.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dan. I always enjoy being around people that make me love humanity.
DeleteDuring my 30+ years in Christian churches, I have fond memories of many who were truly warm, gracious and kind. They cared. And of course, there were also many who were judgmental, petty, selfish and two-faced. We all saw the same mix of people in other environments too but we always wanted to credit Christianity for the good and blame "xyz" for the bad. But after shedding religion, I see that regardless of faith, kind people are kind, and assholes are assholes. I do believe that many got a bigger dose of the empathy gene and the world is a better place thanks to them.
ReplyDeleteAgreed Clay!
DeleteI do think that some people, in wanting to be good and trying to be good, draw inspiration from their religion. Whether their beliefs are the cause or the result of that desire to do good seems like a chicken-and-egg question, at best -- I'm not even sure you can meaningfully separate the person from their beliefs well enough to look at cause and effect like that. Mainly, I'm just glad there are people like that in the world.
ReplyDeleteIt is a chicken-and-egg question. We were taught that we could only "do good" with the power of the spirit and any of our own goodness was nothing. It all seems so weird now. People are good and people are bad and whether faith is a factor doesn't seem to matter at all.
DeleteSo did you let them pray for you?
ReplyDeleteAs I read the various blogs produced by "Christians," I can't help but wonder what their church teaches. Some of them are so nasty, so cruel, so (as Clay put it) much like assholes!
By contrast, I recently came across a blog posting (I found it because the person visited my website and left a very nice comment) that was actually a pleasure to read. He talked a lot about LOVE -- which I think many have forgotten was the primary command of Yeshua.
I did, and do. It used to really irk me early on to ever hear the "p" word, but now I guess I've taken on a more live-and-let-live thing. I think it is sweet in a way, but didn't Jesus tell us not to pray in public ;).
DeleteLove is and should be what it (anything) is all about, I agree.
One of the best sermons I have ever heard on money was one where the topic was generosity. The guy said that if you are not commited to being generous when you tip then you should not pray before you eat and give the rest of us a bad name.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I do think that people are just cheap though. A few weeks ago a friend told me that he is not generous when he tips if the service is bad. LOL, I told him that he apparently does not believe in grace or mercy. Sometimes waitstaff most need generosity when they are not at their best.
Sometimes waitstaff most need generosity when they are not at their best. True that :)
DeleteSome of the WORST tippers are the after-church crowd, unfortunately. I once had a table whose conversation was all about discerning the spirits and pressing in and all kinds of other things of the sort. They were rude, never made eye contact, and very bad tippers. :(
Would that preachers talked more about being generous to waitstaff than being generous to the institutions that employ them. People of faith need to hear it. [think I will share these thoughts at my place]
Delete"I know that I have been surprised in the other way by people (at work) who talk about God, but act very ungodly."
ReplyDeleteI think that most of us are probably familiar with the type of people you mean and what you mean when you say certain people act "ungodly". Most likely, we're talking characteristics such selfish, disrespectful, unloving, judgmental, etc. But what I find interesting is that many of the people you and I might agree act "ungodly" are people who could actually justify their behaviors and actions, even pointing to the specific scripture that supports them. IOW, what "godly" Vs "ungodly" seems to mean varies from believer to believer.
Being on the outside of the Christian bubble these days, what I observe is that the believer uses his or her own sense of justice, right, wrong, and just about everything else, and they project those qualities onto "God". Why else/how else could "God" seem to agree with every single believer, but yet, believers fall on completely opposite sides of the fence on many issues? I find that very revealing. Anyway, nice seeing you post again!!!
what "godly" Vs "ungodly" seems to mean varies from believer to believer.
DeleteAgreed boomSLANG :)
The topic when it comes to “tipping” is always an interesting one. Living in another country we have other “rules” over here and apparently it also differs depending on where you have been raised. Most people don’t tip, since they say it’s included in the bill. However, I’ve had friends who were waiting tables and they were always very happy when people would leave tips. It’s just that little extra, which can make one’s day. So I always give a little something more, which I guess most people do coming from my region of the country (the West of Holland). But those who are living below the rivers (in the South, near the borders) refuse to do so, which actually embarrasses me, since I’m one of those people who knows most staff and often leaves last, so I will leave some anyway myself, even when the others pay for food and drinks.
ReplyDeleteIn addition: one of my friends who lives in Amsterdam (which is also in the West of Holland) says it’s included in the bill (7%), so she won’t pay any extra tips. I simply don’t agree. It’s my way of showing my appreciation. Then again, I understand that simply being seen and addressed in a respectful manner makes a world of difference as well. It’s something I’m trying to teach the little ones who are looking at their phones while ordering something, instead of making genuine eye contact.
Oh the phones!!!
DeleteI know that tipping, in the way Americans do it, is not done in much of the world, and there is a movement starting to end it. At this time, I make $2.13 per hour- that covers my taxes and my checks are 99% of the time $0.00, so in reality, I work for tips only. Fortunately, I usually do very well, the bad and good even out. I chose this job because I like to serve and I quite honestly like working for tips. I just wished people understood how things worked in the industry.
"so in reality, I work for tips only."
ReplyDeleteHey, Alice, I came across this on social media and thought of you(see pictures).
I'd love to be a fly on the wall if someone left you one of those. Good gravy! ;)
That's just dirty! I've actually received two pamphlets over the holidays with good tips. I guess it was the Christmas spirit:)
Delete