As I am cooking up a large batch of black beans today, I recalled how much I HATED beans just five years ago. I even did a series here about how I planned to use up all the stockpile we had at the time.
Now, I eat beans all the time. Since I stopped eating meat, it seems I've gained my taste for beans.
Things change.
I'll freeze these in about 2 cup portions and use them for taco filling, salads, maybe bean burgers, etc. Two of my kiddos are trying to go veg (their idea) too, and have been willing to experiment with their own favorites.
I find that black beans are my favorite, but recently had some house made vegan sausage at a local pizza place and learned that is was made from oats and pinto beans. I'm definitely interested in trying something like that out, it was very good.
I don't post much about my new love for vegetarian cooking here, but I do on my Instagram (as well as other things) so follow me there if that kind of thing sounds interesting.
I'm doing more posting there than anywhere at this time.
Now, I eat beans all the time. Since I stopped eating meat, it seems I've gained my taste for beans.
Things change.
I'll freeze these in about 2 cup portions and use them for taco filling, salads, maybe bean burgers, etc. Two of my kiddos are trying to go veg (their idea) too, and have been willing to experiment with their own favorites.
I find that black beans are my favorite, but recently had some house made vegan sausage at a local pizza place and learned that is was made from oats and pinto beans. I'm definitely interested in trying something like that out, it was very good.
I don't post much about my new love for vegetarian cooking here, but I do on my Instagram (as well as other things) so follow me there if that kind of thing sounds interesting.
I'm doing more posting there than anywhere at this time.

I seem to remember reading something about beans and rice (together) being a source of protein, so maybe that's part of their sudden appeal? I dunno.
ReplyDeleteI do think that may be part of it.
DeleteWhat, IYO, are the advantages to going vegan, besides the obvious having peace of mind that you've not taken part or contributed in any way in other sentient creatures being harmed. I've heard "more energy" is one of them, and in as little as a week's time. I've been conflicted about it lately, so idk, I may get around to posting on the topic.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, at first I felt really lethargic and low energy which I researched at the time and decided was probably detox, especially from dairy. It lasted for a few days and then I started feeling much better.
DeleteMy reasons were more on the ethical side than the health, so I'm sure there is much room for improvement in that area for me. I find that it's still plenty easy to get way too many calories:).
The only major drawback is simply convenience, especially when trying to eat out. I bring my own food to family stuff too now, which is fine. I don't feel like I'm missing anything and find that trying out new things has made me rediscover "food", which is cool.
Two of my kiddos have gone vegetarian in the last year, their idea. Although they still do dairy and eggs, it's a start and I feel good that they want to try it out, for their own reasons.
I would like to hear your conflicted thoughts on the matter :)
I've not researched the topic at all. I'd rather just get the perspectives of people I know that have gone vegan and swear by it. It seems to me that plants would be easier to digest than meat and dairy, thus, leaving spare energy, hence the gains. Kind of. Maybe. Idk. Again, just speculating.
DeleteConflicted, mostly because something just "clicked" one day, much in the same way that something clicked one day when I was a believer. IOW, there's some parallels there. At least for me there is.
When it clicked for me, I also made the connection. It's like once you question something so big as the existence of God and what everyone always did and told you, you look around and see more in your life and society as a whole that doesn't line up with what you see as true.
DeleteFor me, there's parallels, but then again, there are differences. One of those differences being that the fundamental tenets of Christianity are either true, or they aren't true. You question the existence of the God you always believed in, and there's really only two possible answers. Meat consumption Vs non-meat consumption, on the other hand, isn't as cut'n dried, IMO. I jotted down some quick thoughts on the topic over yonder.
Delete