Officially.
It doesn't seem like it could be Christmas in a few days. The kiddos are getting spoiled this year because I can do it. I discussed with my now 17 year old (what?!) how I felt bad all those years when our Christmases seemed a little sparse and she said she didn't even notice. They were/are good kids. Plus, they didn't have to go to school and hear about all the expensive cool stuff the other kids got from "Santa". As I wrote before, I never wanted to do the Santa thing and I stand by that.
I have to close every night until Sunday, including Christmas Eve. I haven't wrapped a single thing and I suspect it will get done on Saturday night after work. Wine will definitely be involved.
I made very little money last night, actually getting stiffed by one lady after giving her excellent service. I really don't get people. Another couple, though who come in often and always tip appropriately, gave me an extra big tip last night, I assume for the holiday.
Gloria and Donna were arguing over whether to say to the guests "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". Donna's take was that as a "woman of God" ...? it was her duty to put the Christ in Christmas and all that. Gloria (a wonderful lady) opts for "Happy Holidays" as to not offend. While Donna's argument would most likely please Jehovah more, Gloria is a thousand times the "woman of God" in my opinion. I have gone with "Merry Christmas" and no one has called me out yet.
Merry Christmas to you readers, friends, and lurkers :)

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours Alice.
ReplyDeleteI prefer Happy Holidays myself, but that's mainly because I'm also including New Year's. And, well, I hope yours are!
ReplyDeleteOver here, there's the same discussion. It's even said that we can't call " Kerstmis" Christmas, even though "Kerst" doesn't mean Christ. It does refer to the Christ being born though. We now have to say happy end of year celebration. Sigh!
ReplyDeleteSo Merry Xmas from Holland Alice!
I say Happy Holidays. There's much diversity in my community, and I just want to cover it all! But... Merry Christmas to you and yours, Alice! I hope the wrapping goes quickly (and the wine slowly) and the day is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post :)
It's funny(odd), because your coworker says "Happy Holidays" in an attempt to not offend, and yet, the only offense I see being taken this time of year is when people are told "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", which I think is where this whole "war on Christmas" rigmarole stems from. As a former believer, I still celebrate Christmas as a cultural holiday, so if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I just say it right back! That being said, ditto!....Merry Christmas to you too, Alice!
ReplyDeleteExactly. I have never had anyone get upset when saying "Merry Christmas". Back in the church days, the kids were given this gem to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkIj94yepfU oh boy.
DeleteAt least it's got a gnarly bass line :)
DeleteI usually respond with, "Same to you." :)
ReplyDelete