Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Two Weeks

Two weeks ago yesterday, I was shopping at Meijer by myself for my 10 year old's birthday. It was raining hard. My cell phone rang and I wondered why Mom would be calling me at this time of day.


Her voice sounded grim, wanted me to know what was going on, Norm (my step-dad) had a stroke. They saw something on the CT scan they didn't like, would call me back when she knew more.



Later I drive to the ER of the bigger city hospital where they had transported him, by ambulance. Not a stroke, a tumor, maybe two. More scans to see if this had started somewhere else, no. Brain tumor-one-large and aggressive. More tests, inoperable.



Mom texts a few hours later, he had a seizure, loss of right side of body movement, much of his speech, swallowing. More tests, not a seizure, the tumor was bleeding. Started feeding tube and steroid treatments to hopefully improve symptoms, biopsy. Very rare brain tumor, very resistant to treatment.


Oncology gives treatment options, grim prognosis. The cancer will continue to grow and rob him of more of his body and mind, but we could maybe buy some time. The speech and movement and inability to eat on his own will not come back. Norm can communicate, but not verbally very well. First agrees to radiation and some form of chemo pill.


The next day gathers strength and some words to tell Mom and my half-brother that he wants to go home. No treatment.


He came home yesterday, exactly two weeks after this started. He has asked for the feeding tube to be removed. He says he's done. He's only 62. The hospice nurse says a week, maybe two.



Tell the people in your life how much they mean to you, don't take anyone for granted.






13 comments:

  1. {{{{{{REALLY BIG HUGS}}}}}

    That sucks. That sucks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very BIG HUGS!!! And yes true. Life can change in a heartbeat. That's why I always want the people close to me I love them and my intent is to not have any regrets about what I have (not) done. And yes the latter is the hard part. Again, Take Care Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so very sorry, sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Sometimes it is best to try to keep someone as comfortable as possible and then let nature take it's course. Thank goodness for hospice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warm thoughts and gentle hugs Alice. So sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm speechless ... I wish you and your family all the warmth and comfort possible through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awful. How long have your mother and stepfather been married?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much everyone. There is just no way to describe the kind of out of the blue shock of all this.

    They have been married for almost 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear this, Alice. I can't imagine what you are all feeling. My thoughts are with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just checking in, and this is really crummy news. It's easy to feel helpless, and being blindsided doesn't help matters. I know this because my step-father(who I consider my "Dad") had very similar circumstances. I'm very sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so, so sorry Alice. This is hard news to take.

    For whatever it is worth to you hon, I'm praying for you and your family during this dark time.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry Alice - I hope you are doing ok. Lots of love - Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very sorry to here this news about Norman, Alice. I've been busy and behind at work and haven't been on the internet much so i just saw this tonight. There just is no being ready for something like this. "Tell the people in your life how much they mean to you, don't take anyone for granted." This is the really important thing, Alice. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..