As the days return to gradually getting longer, I think about the sun. This bright hot thing in the sky that sustains life on this planet. As an object of worship, it doesn't get much better than this. Big, bright, powerful, warm, almost too warm sometimes. It's heat can give life, but can also kill. Without it's light, we cannot survive.
I'm one of these people who get the winter blahs. I could take the cold and snow, if it weren't for the darkness. By the time I get to work lately, it is already dark. I have always hated a dark suppertime. So we light lights, we make our homes cozy. We feast and make merry.
I can totally understand why the sun was/is worshipped.
I'm one of these people who get the winter blahs. I could take the cold and snow, if it weren't for the darkness. By the time I get to work lately, it is already dark. I have always hated a dark suppertime. So we light lights, we make our homes cozy. We feast and make merry.
I can totally understand why the sun was/is worshipped.
Hi Alice,
ReplyDeleteI too am not a huge fan of the short days but totally love the cold and snow. Where I live we only get around 6 hrs of light in the winter time. One huge benefit, though, is out in the country we can really see the stars and some nights the sky is filled with twinkling and on the occasion we see the northern lights, what a treat. I guess each season has a draw back and I have learned it is best to look for the best in each season otherwise I become miserable.
Blessings hon and Merry Christmas. :)
<><
Merry Christmas to you too child of God;)
DeleteI agree. Makes sense re: sun worship. Sending warm thoughts your way Alice. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteThanks Zoe, It was actually unseasonable warm today...near 60! But still will be dark early;)
DeleteI am one of those who get the blahs during the winter months. And for some reason the loneliness of being a bachelor gets to me more during the cold, dark months. I'm not sure why that is.
ReplyDeleteThere's something about the light hanging around late into the evening that is very comforting to me, at least. I can see the early darkness making lonliness more pronounced.
DeleteThat may be it for me, too. Something about spring time always lifts my spirits. I'm always ready then to shake off the cold, dark months.
DeleteMerry Xmas Alice!
ReplyDeleteI know the problem all too well. Over here in Holland it's often grey during the (short) day, someyimes even days on end and it's pretty depressing. Fortunately I've been to Florida and Florence this autumn, so I was able to absorb some much needed sunlight.
How has your holiday been up till now? Did you "have to" work?