Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Don't Take it so Seriously

I guess as I'm getting older, it's becoming more easy to not get so upset about the small stuff. That's a nice perk of having been there done that a time or two, knowing that very few things are the end of the world.




For example....


I was at the Dollar General last week with my daughter and in walking by the hair aisle, got the urge to do something "different" with my hair. I am usually miss natural natural when it comes to hair care. I still do the noo poo thing since starting it five years ago. It has saved my scalp, but I won't get into that now.


Anyway, I got the bright idea to do my own highlights. I have pretty dark blond/lightish brown hair and it was in no way color treated and hasn't been since the last time I pulled this about 12 years ago when I went through my mom haircut and dye phase. What I ended up with this time (as well as last-how soon we forget) was anything but natural looking yellowish mess. It's not as bad as it could be, but I'm not happy. Instead of trying to correct it now, I'm going to just let it grow out and deal with the consequences. I wear my hair pretty long, too, so this will be an ongoing problem for quite some time to come, I guess.

It's not THAT bad and I guess maybe once the dust settles I may try a semi-permanent color to go back or get some lowlights done, or something, but I think the experimentation is out of my system for now:)


nope



I have to laugh at myself because even while applying the horrific smelling chemicals my sane side was saying "this is a bad idea."


I'm going to try to "tone" it using some pretty harmless techniques I've been researching. We'll see how that goes.





17 comments:

  1. Well, Alice, I've to decided go natural with my highlights, commonly known as gray streaks. When someone makes reference to them or asks why I don't use one of those popular products to cover them, I always tell them I worked hard for every one of those gray hairs! I have dark hair so the bit of gray I do have really sticks out. You're right of course, don't take things so seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving Doug!

      I'm very lucky to not have any gray yet, not that gray is a bad thing at all, it's just something I don't have to decide what to do about right now:)

      Delete
  2. Being a former 80s rocker who had a coiffure that was akin to Farrah Fawcett, with the exception that it wasn't blonde, but that same lite brownish "kitchen-sink" color that you described, I experimented with highlights, too. Well, actually, I guess it was my live-in ex g/f who was actually doing the experimenting. In retrospect, I think I was probably her guinea pig, seein' as how she had the same color hair as I did, but not as thick. Her first attempt turned my hair orange. And then there's the time that my hair caught fire at photo session. Aqua net and candles as props don't mix = /

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I've never caught my hair on fire:) I guess I am thankful that it is still there. I am ready to embrace the challenge of getting it back to looking normal.

      Delete
    2. How did you get the orange hair fixed btw?

      Delete
    3. I remember her using some kind of deep conditioning hair repair on it at first. After that, a semi-permanent color went on it.

      Delete
    4. Let's just say, my hair didn't look like that of the hair of the girl on the box.

      Delete
    5. It's actually starting to grow on me, though I still won't be doing this again. I may look into some herbal rinses to ease the transition. One thing I remembered about coloring it the last time is how badly it dried out my hair. My hair was in really good shape,before this, so it's no too bad, but I don't like the way it feels at all.

      I have gotten quite a few compliments on it, even though I don't think it looks very good.

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes the cost of "having it done" by a pro is worth it in the long run. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words, Nan, and I should have known better!

      Delete
    2. That's what my hairdresser would say. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello, greetings. Very thought provoking. There is a book titled DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. I forgot the name of the writer.
    It is true that we worry about so many little things over which we have no control and this worrying wastes a major chunk of our precious time.
    It was good that you made the experiment because if you hadn't done it, this thought will be nagging you all the time. Now that you have done it and didn't like it, at least your curiosity has been satisfied.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joseph,

      You are so right that if I hadn't done it, it would still be nagging at me:) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..