Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Other Side

Natalie was talking about one of her kids being sick the other night at work with me and Cameron the bartender.

"Alice, you have a bunch of kids, how many again?"

"Six."

"I would shoot myself in the head."



We all laughed because of the way she said it and I know she wouldn't, but I know what she meant.




It's a great deal different than the reaction in the Christian world where each child is a gift and in some circles, more is better. We weren't particurally religious when our first was born, but then became Catholics and the family planning aspect of our marriage was now none of our concern. Children are a blessing, God will make a way, and you best not fool with it.


I honestly don't know how it would have played out had we actually thought about what we were doing and what this was going to look like in the long run. We have been overwhelmingly lucky in the fact that all our kids are healthy and normal. There have been many along the way that have helped us and gifted us with money and resources, but there will be no way we can provide cars, college, or any other major things to them since there are so many. I feel very guilty sometimes about that.


On the other hand, I wouldn't want any of them to have not come into our lives, so we just do the best we can and know that they really do have it pretty good.



As the school year continues and I see how well they are adjusting, it is amazing to me how we ever did things any differently. It's as if we've really started a new life.





8 comments:

  1. Reading this piece and your earlier post entitled "Rising" brings a Jackson Brown song to mind.

    For decades as a true believer, when I'd open my eyes in the morning, a song would come to mind: "This is a day that the Lord hath made. We will rejoice and be glad in it..."

    It still comes to mind on occasion when I arise. When it does I've had the feeling/thought, "Well, I don't really believe that anymore. I need a new song."

    Last week someone posted the following on Facebook. I was quite taken by the song and the video. It provides me a more inspiring rising-in-the-morning song...

    http://youtu.be/-P775crQIwo

    " ...and taking [our] chances, alive in the world..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say...this post "The Other Side," reminds me of the song due to the changes of life that we live through.

    I was quite taken by the line in the song, "..the infinite power of change..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol:)

      I have been trying to get up and just find things to be grateful for each day to get off on the right foot- also meditating again, but without expecting any "spiritual" benefits. I think there can certainly be some personal benefit in religious practices if there is no baggage attached, and I find that I can do my own thing in my own way, I can add a layer of more meaning without having to have it "work"...if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're settling in to the new school arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael- I'm very proud of them. My kindergardener's teacher called me just to tell me how good she was behaving in class, so that's pretty cool.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the update Alice. I have been around the more kids are better folks and think some of their rationale to be a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob, it's nice to see you. I have been so busy!!

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..