Monday, June 16, 2014

A Moment of Clarity at the Dish Pit

Yesterday was pretty busy being Father's Day and all. It actually turned out to be the second biggest money making day I've had so far, but it wasn't easy.


At one point two or three of us servers were clearing our trays at the dish counter and it was in the midst of that chaos that I realized that I was alive. My elbows were hurting from lifting way too heavy trays all day. There was barely any time to get a drink of water, one table had just stiffed me, another's food was taking forever and I was beginning to wish the night would end very soon. But then, it hit me:



In this vast universe, here I am, alive, conscious, healthy, happy. In all the places I could have been born, in all the many situations, this is me and I'm glad. For a few seconds, I felt completely at awe with everyone and everything.



It was pretty cool:)











11 comments:

  1. I believe I know that feeling or one that's remarkably similar. I love how such feelings come unannounced and wherever they decide to break into your routine. Good for you for enjoying it to the fullest and congratulations on your good earnings! Turns out Father's Day was your lucky day all around Alice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unannounced. That's a good word for it and shows us how unpredictable life is.

      Delete
  2. Epiphanies are cool ... i get a similar feeling when I look up at the stars while walking my dogs - the awesomeness of the universe is magnificent and majestic.

    Robt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stars make me feel so insignificant, but in a good way.

      Delete
  3. "Whatsoever is Lovely" has been included in our Sites To See #379. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/06/sites-to-see-379.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I hope you had a really happy fathers day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *smiling*

    I too love these type of "unannounced" encounters.

    The content of your blog entry and its title brought to mind an image lodged in my memory from something I read in the past about a blind person who was washing dishes and described the wonder of soap bubbles. I think maybe I read about the account in a Dale Carnegie book.

    For me, in these type moments, it's like time stands still or slows down...just for an instant, yet it feels much longer. It's like soap bubbles...they contain a world of reflective color, but only for moments.


    I searched the net just now, thinking maybe the person whom I read about in the past was Helen Keller. But I can find no such Helen Keller incident in my perusal. So it may not have been Helen Keller. I did find a blog entry quoting Nella Brady on "How Helen Keller Sees Color." ( http://kendaturner.blogspot.com/2012/08/on-helen-keller-and-seeing-color.html )

    How Helen Keller Sees Color
    by Nella Braddy

    "It is annoying to a certain type of mind to have Miss Keller describe something she obviously cannot know through direct sensation. The annoyance is mutual. These sensations, whatever expert opinion on them may be, are as real to her as any others. Her idea of colour, to take only one instance, is built up through association and analogy. Pink is 'like a baby's cheek or a soft Southern breeze.' Gray is 'like a soft shawl around the shoulders.' Yellow is 'like the sun. It means life and is rich in promise.' There are two kinds of brown. 'One is warm and friendly like leaf mould.' The other is 'like the trunks of aged trees with worm holes in them, or like withered hands.' Lilac, which is her Teacher's favourite colour, 'makes her think of faces she has loved and kissed.' The warm sun brings out odours that make her think of red. Coolness brings out odours that make her think of green. A sparkling colour brings to mind soap bubbles quivering under her hand." (from the Preface of Midstream by Helen Keller, copyrighted 1929)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, in these type moments, it's like time stands still or slows down...just for an instant, yet it feels much longer. It's like soap bubbles...they contain a world of reflective color, but only for moments.

      That's lovely Carol:)

      I remember back in my "discernment" phase, listening to a preacher denouncing Heller Keller (who was probably in Hell) for being to "mystical" or something like that. I love the way we used to eat our own.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..