Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right
Scarlet Begonias- Grateful Dead
Cognitive dissonance...
That phrase started having huge meaning for me back in the cold winter months of 2010. I Starting in the year 2000, I had followed my husband on his way back to full communion with the Roman Catholic Church in which he was raised. Finding dissatisfaction with the answers to life given us there, we left in 2007 and went to not attending a church at all for a couple of years and then joined an Evangelical church that we felt was much closer to our own new found beliefs. Free from the bonds of the magisterium and all that Catholic stuff, we felt free to really for the first time in a long time explore Christendom, read scripture and finally get to the bottom of what it really is all about. I was hungry for the Word, watched Christian TV, listened to countless hours of sermons and studied my patootie off on every jot and tittle. As much as I loved our new church, though, I was starting to have some serious issues with fundamental Christianity and the character of God.
To be fair, I had been delving pretty deeply into Calvinistic theology on my own which I thought at the time truly held all the truths of the universe. This theological system does tend to make God a bit harsher directly than others so the place I was coming from and what my mind did with it may not be representative of all that hold this view. But for me it went just about like this:
I am saved Hallelujah! but God is very very very very angry with the rest of the world and most of them including my neighbors, friends, the nice cashier at the store, my Catholic in laws, other unsaved family members, and perhaps even some of my very own children would be tormented day and night forever and ever after they died and / or the end of the world. This was not because they did anything wrong, per se (except being born sinful of course) but that God had not chosen them from the foundation of the world for eternal salvation.
I am saved Hallelujah! but God is very very very very angry with the rest of the world and most of them including my neighbors, friends, the nice cashier at the store, my Catholic in laws, other unsaved family members, and perhaps even some of my very own children would be tormented day and night forever and ever after they died and / or the end of the world. This was not because they did anything wrong, per se (except being born sinful of course) but that God had not chosen them from the foundation of the world for eternal salvation.
Besides all of the above, the Reformed view gave me a good amount of comfort (for awhile). You see, I hadn't always been (how shall one say)...a "good girl" and there was plenty in my past that deserved the indignation of a Holy God. But with this theology, nothing I did, am doing, or will do can take me out of the club (unless I was never really saved in the first place, but that's another whole can of worms). God and I were good, but as far as the rest of humanity...well. This was causing me a great deal of problems.
I remember walking through the grocery store, looking upon all the Hell bound masses, with a sickening mixed sensation of pity, privilege, duty, despair, gratefulness and longing...longing for "the end" so we could just get this all over with. I remember kissing my children goodnight and wondering if they were going to make it into the Kingdom. The internal war, although manageable most of the time, would take an occasional turn into something worse and panic would grip and I would wish with all my being that somehow there was something else to this life than this.
I remember walking through the grocery store, looking upon all the Hell bound masses, with a sickening mixed sensation of pity, privilege, duty, despair, gratefulness and longing...longing for "the end" so we could just get this all over with. I remember kissing my children goodnight and wondering if they were going to make it into the Kingdom. The internal war, although manageable most of the time, would take an occasional turn into something worse and panic would grip and I would wish with all my being that somehow there was something else to this life than this.
So one day I'm on the computer, and the kids are watching Yellow Submarine. If you haven't seen it,
the plot is basically that Pepperland is being invaded by "Blue Meanies" that are trying to ruin everyone's happiness by shutting down music, peace, love, etc. The Beatles, through a series of psychedelic adventures turn the situation around, not with war, but with love. No violence at all now or ever....
And for a moment I thought....If only God were like that.
And then I took it right back. I dare not question this...Dare I?
next part>
And for a moment I thought....If only God were like that.
And then I took it right back. I dare not question this...Dare I?
next part>
I love to hear about my friend's spiritual journeys! Whenever we meet someone, it is hard not to ask right at first what their church is. So I can't wait to hear the rest!
ReplyDeleteAnixously awaiting the rest.
ReplyDeleteInteresting... Don't keep us waiting too long.
ReplyDeleteinspiring story of journey but God knows the best for us :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing friend,
Have a good day,
Delvalina
Absolutely amazing. Yes please more! Its a hard journey but I am really looking forward to hearing more of your story. Hope all is well with you and yours.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda. I have been wanting to say so much for so long and now I think it's time to start.
DeleteI hope all is well with you, too:)
You never realize how much cognitive dissonance you have (or that such a thing even exists), and how much time and energy goes into believing it all, and trying to defend it all until you leave it all behind, it's like a weight lifted off of you.
ReplyDeleteI'm telling you I went through the same thing - so I throw out Calvinism and I say - why do we need those labels? Calvin wasn't in the Bible. I would love it if you would pick up a copy of Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. I just would love to hear your thoughts on it because it spoke to me right now. Maybe I should blog about my journey but I have a hard time doing that without hurting several people so I have to be careful.
ReplyDeleteFor now, for me I take comfort that it is out of my hands and that God does so love the world - the whole world and grace. I just hold onto grace. I am also trying very hard to love people and remind myself they are made in His image. I have every confidence that He will see you through.
I would like to read about your journey, too, but I know sometimes it's hard to do so when there are so many other people to consider.
DeleteHurting other people was a big reason I didn't start this sooner, but it's time.
Hard to think that God is not like that Alice. Sadly fundamentalism has turned Love Incarnate into something different altogether. I guess the challenge is to find a way to get free from fundamentalism.
ReplyDeleteCalvinism really messed up my mind. I fought long and hard to hold onto it, though.
DeleteCalvinism makes so much sense at a micro-level Alice. I think that it is especially attractive to folks who like to see the bible like a scientist or mathematician. But perhaps the bible is best understood in the language of the poet or the novelist? Perhaps the bigger themes are the ones that we are meant to hold on to. My thinking is that if the bible becomes a stumbling block for us then perhaps we simply need to perceive and read it differently?
DeleteI guess at the time I was taking a micro approach to the bible, I'll eventually get to that. I started taking a more metaphorical approach as things started to unravel for me in the realm of inerrancy.
DeleteHere is an excerpt from Derek's blog that speaks to me about how we should approach the bible:
Delete"A faithful reading of Scripture is therefore not about defending the bad parts of the Bible (whether by seeking to justify or downplay them). On the contrary, a faithful reading entails wrestling with those troubling texts as the biblical authors did themselves. When we are standing up against the voice of authority in the name of the voiceless, we find ourselves in the company of the many counter-voices within the Bible who are doing the same. We find ourselves engaging the Bible in the same way the prophets did, and the same way Jesus did. That's a good place to be."
I have been following Derek's blog, too. So instead of trying to reconcile any of the texts or saying that God has to be "both Love and Justice" like I've heard so many times, he is saying we should choose?
DeleteBTW, I'm not saying that God isn't or should be just, it's the warped sense of justice (in my limited human understanding, granted) that springs from harsh fundamentalism.
Deleteshouldn't not should. :)
DeleteI think that Derek says that justice is an extension of love Alice. He speaks extensively about the divine perspective of justice involving restoration and the human view involving retribution. Just finished reading his book (Healing the Gospel) with our small group and thought it was a great read. Retributive justice is so ingrained in many religious sects. It was hard for some in our group to grasp the idea that divine justice does not involve retribution at all. So, to answer your question, one does not have to choose between love and justice but one may have to have a different view of what justice is.
DeleteThe new Pilgrim's Progress. I am never worried about those who take this journey because they seek truth and God with all their heart in the process. Jesus says that you will find Him in that process. What worries me is those who do not take this journey.
ReplyDeleteJesus does say to seek, ask, and knock.
Delete@ Alice,
ReplyDeleteI came back to this post to see what sort of church you left.
So, you were raised in what faith?
You got married and then joined husband Catholicism that he went back to, right? Maybe you weren't raised religiously?
Again, our mental paths seem so very similar. You said,
"
And for a moment I thought....If only God were like that.
And then I took it right back. I dare not question this...Dare I?
I had a similar experience of saying to myself --
"Jeez, I can't believe I thought of that question. I can't go down that hole, I know I won't find my way back. THEN, I realized that such fearful thinking was horrible. My religion was one that would not admit doubt -- faith was the opposite of doubt. And for good reason: doubt (clear thinking) would reveal a lot of nonsense. Click here to read it, if you are interested to read my post called "In Jesus' Name".
I wasn't raised in any religion. My mom was a Christian but never tried to indoctrinate us. My dad was/is agnostic to the best of my knowledge. I tried not to go down that rabbit hole either, but at this point I was pretty much burnt out and grasping for some kind of sense.
Delete