| A neat old church house near where we live. I think it's a UMC. |
I saw this whilst surfing the interwebs today.
Chicago Church Money Giveaway
Although I believe the church we call home (and probably most churches) have an awesome outreach and heart for missions, putting the power and some means in the people's hands to fill needs that they personally see in their day to day is wonderful.
What do you think?
*Also check out Petra's comments about this story over at her blog TGS. She's also embedded the sermon that went along with this event. It put it all together for me.
This is TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I am sending it to my pastor!!! Exciting, I wish our church could do it, one can hope.
ReplyDeleteAmazing.
ReplyDeleteMy DH loaded a Bible into my Blackberry, and I was able to read 4 of Paul's letters yesterday while at work (during lunch and also while I was in surgery..most of the time I was waiting for the doctor to ask for me to give him an image...3 hours of mostly sitting, and reading!). Read Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians in ESV. The impression I was left with was how this is not our home and not to try to build what is here like it is all there is.
ReplyDeleteI personally think we put too much emphasis on money (me included). I understand that we do need it as a tool in this world to get things done....but I am very mixed on how I feel about the above story. I think the emphasis is still on money and doing instead of on the fallen decrepitness of this world and the kindness that God bestowed when He stooped to save us. The emphasis seems too much on what we can do instead of what God has already done.
I do see that we are to help the poor and that the churches in Paul's time sent all they had to help Paul and also the believers in Jerusalem. I don't really see it said we are to give money to try to save the unsaved. Something about it is a little off for me, not that I don't think we can help unbelievers with money and things that money can buy, but still something is off about it for me.
As I understand, the money was in small amounts. I love the idea of being able to give a family having hard times an extra few bucks for gas or be able to pick up someone's lunch tab...you know a random acts of kindness kind of thing. And as we are Christ's ambassadors, I think acts of kindness are totally appropriate.
DeleteI don't think the money is meant to save the unsaved, that's His work of course, but we are to do good to all men, especially the family of believers. (Galatians 6:10)
As always, though, I will search and pray. Thanks for your opinion and comment on this Susan :) <3
That's just it, Ma, "random acts of kindness" don't always require money, but this seems to imply that it does. ;-) Your welcome, (((Ma))) The most precious gifts God gives cannot have a pricetag on them.
DeleteI don't think we can help unbelievers with money and things that money can buy, but still something is off about it for me.
DeleteThat don't should be a do
That does make more sense:) I wish there was a way to edit these.
DeleteAt first I was skeptical, thinking that perhaps the emphasis was on the deed or money instead of on what Christ has already done. I thought it was a mere plot to recruit more pew warmers.... until I watched the whole sermon here http://my.ekklesia360.com/Clients/embed_video_preview.php?moduleRecordId=1925201&CMSCODE=EKK
ReplyDeleteI was blessed and the few things that I might not agree with are teeny and non-essentials. This is worth sharing. Thanks!
Thanks ma. This is very special. A dream ...
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that Ma. I think the recipients of the envelopes probably became a bit more sensitive to needs in their community.
ReplyDelete