Spearmint to be exact
The failed mint row in my tea garden is now filled with 11 small cut-lings that I propagated in
this manner.I got the mint from
one of our neighbors and this seems to have worked.
 |
| Here it is in sprouting stage. I used a clear plastic egg carton with the top cut off for the tray. |
 |
| Happy mint :) |
 |
| These went in 4 days ago...they're growing! |
|
|
|
Amazingly all 12 cutlings survived and rooted, but there was only space in the row for 11 of them, but I couldn't bear to throw one out:
 |
| Thanks to the Mr. for suggesting the pot. |
I love spearmint. The challenge is keeping it contained 'cause is spreads so easily.
ReplyDeleteI say bring it!:)
DeleteWe used to have spearmint growing on the side of our house when I was little. I used to love to chew on the leaves, and when I was older, make sun tea with it. You brought back some memories, now I need to grow some spearmint.
ReplyDeleteOnce mine really takes off, you are more than welcome to come and get some. I hope I'll have plenty to spare and share.
DeleteAwww I love the last picture! so cool that you made room for it in a little pot.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Joanne
Hi Ma,
ReplyDeleteI love mint! It looks like you will have quite the bounty when these plants mature.
I have mint growing in my garden but it doesn't look so good. A lot of the leaves are going brown and the plant just looks wilted. I am thinking that the spot where I planted it might be to moist.
Looks like you will be enjoying some amazing mint tea!
Blessings,
<><
Hi Child of God,
DeleteI'm sorry your mint doesn't look so good:( The batch we tried from seed didn't work out at all really, so I did this instead. I sure hope it takes over, I will use it all the time. I wonder if it is too moist, we are in a major dry spell, and it seems to be okay so far, with me watering it of course.
I have a widow box full of mint. It died off in the winter and came right back in the spring. And it smells so good!
ReplyDeleteI have a pot of mint on my balcony...not sure what kind of mint it is...found it growing wild near one of my favorite restaurants in the area. I agree with Petra, I love the aroma! MMMmmmm :)
ReplyDeleteAre you using it Susan?
DeleteI have a little... I dry it first. I found some red clover, dried some and am making sun tea out of it (experiment)...maybe it'll help with the hot flashes :)
DeleteThat's so interesting, I'm starting to drink red clover, too. I may get some seeds to put in my garden next year.
DeleteNever tried growing my own herbs, spices or mints, but is sure popular here to have little pots in the kitchen window for cooking. Mint tea is tasty, but unacquainted with many other uses as an ingredient. Suggestions Ma?
ReplyDeleteI haven't used it for anything else, but I know people do cook with it. I may try something eventually. :)
DeleteI love spearamint! We used to live in a remote farming community in the desert that produced peppermint oil for candy and toothpaste companies. In the fall when they were running the oil distillories the whole valley was filled with the fragrance. It was divine!
ReplyDeleteI love the smell of peppermint oil. What a nice memory:)
Delete