This is a good saying, something an old friend used to say to me. It's true.
| It's clothed today.... |
I've been doing "the worrying" this week. I don't know what's up.
My grandmother used to tell me when I was worried about something to give myself permission to not think about it for awhile. That's also good advice.
I don't even usually worry about important things, just little things that just get under my skin and steal all my peace.
I am a worrier, yes it's true. The Lord has taken MUCH of it away over the years, but I still have my moments.
My littlest lad had a nightmare or something last night and ended up in my bed for the last couple of hours of the morning. As I was trying to get comfortable with five year old elbows and knees jabbing me and such, I thought about some of the things I used to worry about for him, and how those things are all right now.
When I first met the Mr., one of the best things about him is he always said. "It's going to be alright." Sometimes, I would just ask him to say it, no matter what I was dealing with at the time, because it always was, and I just needed to hear it.
Jesus says not to worry, Paul tells us not to worry, Peter tells us not to worry.
So, today, I give myself permission not to.
I am a worrier too. It's so hard turning it off. I find peace Reading the Bible and church. But when it comes to things about my kids I still worry no matter what.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Joanne
The kids will always worry us, I guess that has allowed me to get a better handle on my worry, knowing I have to and will always have to deal with it.
DeleteHave you noticed that 99.9% of the things we worry about NEVER happen? That in itself should tell us something....
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Ain't it the truth? My grandpa used to say that it's not the things you worry about that happen, it's the stuff you don't see coming that gets you.
DeleteNot sure how comforting that is, but still:)
I think I have myself convinced that the things that I worry about don't happen BECAUSE I worry about them, lol...
DeleteAHA! I've thought that, too.
DeleteI too worry. I also will go my Mr. and have tell me too "it will be alright!" Weird how hearing those words will make the difference.
ReplyDeleteHugs & Blessings :)
Have a blessed and worry free weekend ;)
It is so nice to hear it. I'm glad you have a non-worrying spouse, too:)
DeleteHave a great weekend yourself.
That dandelion photo and the link are pure poetry, my friend!! And I love your grandma's advice. This entire post could have been written by me. "The Lord has taken MUCH of it away over the years, but I still have my moments." And it's mostly the little stuff. Oh, my goodness! I love your grandma's advice. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Petra. I LOVE dandelions and they were just glittering and sparkling in the sunset, I didn't capture it as it was in reality, but you know how that is.
DeleteGrandma told me that over 20 (yikes..has it been that long?) years ago and I never forgot it.
I have a husband like that as well. Are women usually the worry warts? Always good to be reminded that God cares.
ReplyDeleteI think we are worriers by nature, too. I need to remember my eucharisteo!
DeleteI LOVE your first photo!!! Yes ,we know with our intellect not to worry, but we seem to have our emotions rule so much! I read an article once that said to worry, but set a special time for it each day. Than whenever we think of our troubles, just stop and say to yourself that you already had your worry time for the day.
ReplyDeleteSchedule a worry time? Genius! I may have to do this.
DeleteLoL, and what if you forget to worry at the scheduled time????Something else to worry about! :D
DeleteOh I wouldn't forget ;)
DeleteGreat post with a message that it always timely. Also, I loved the picture.
ReplyDeleteThank you Leslie.
DeleteI will give myself permission as well. Thank you for such great reminder. I tend to be a worrier, I think that it is partly due to the fact that I might not have control over something. I'm learning through my recent trial to give those cares to God, because they are truly too big for me. I'm learning that worrying is not trusting. I need to trust that He does have good in mind for us.
ReplyDeleteWorrying is not trusting...you are so right.
DeleteI counted how many tabs I had open today....34 (after closing a few, and opening some others...) and I have had that happen that one of the pages I had open had a commercial clip that played really loudly, and had to look around to find which tab it was, yeah, I'm busted, lol.
ReplyDelete[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-cartoon-011.gif[/img][/url]
Trying the emoticon to see if it will work...testing, testing...
didn't work...
Deletewhat about this one:
http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-cartoon-011.gif
hmmm...this one?
Delete[img]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif[/img]
Blogger should really have a smiley widget. I need to go find one!:)
DeleteOkay, I tried installing a smiley widget, Susan, but you have to look at the top to put the code in, let's see if it works:
Delete:D
Trying again :)
DeleteSuccess! B-)
DeleteMa, I'm a worrier too. My mother always said I was afraid of things that never showed up. She said always to me: are the concerns in your house: the Lord gives strength to bear the cross that God puts on your shoulders.
ReplyDeleteSo, I would not be nervous;-) But it's in my genes. Maybe good to select 15 minutes worrying a day. Not more.
15 minutes sounds reasonable:)
DeleteThe worry-thing always reminds me of MAD Magazines Alfred E. Newman signature phrase: "What, me worry?". It seems natural to worry and you wonder if someone who doesn't is "one taco short of a combination plate". Worrying seems to equal caring because we don't worry about what we do not care about. Jesus overcame the world (John 16:33) and tells us to keep our eyes upon Him, not the nasty wind and waves that make us sink like a rock (Matthew 14:30). I think that Stacie hit it on the head that it is a trust issue. Do I trust and believe what Jesus said. “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” of Mark 9:24 applies to all of us this side of heaven. It's no wonder that we depend upon Christ! In John 14:27, Jesus says: "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." and this is where I desire to live. Thanks Ma for always showing us our flawed humanity that leads us all back to the foot of our Savior.
ReplyDeleteThank you Brain, Jesus did tell us to not let our hearts be troubled. I forgot that one. How comforting!
ReplyDeleteI do my best not to worry but just like you, I have my moments. (Especially most recently dealing with Immigration) When I give things to God and carry about my business, my thoughts drift to other things so I do not worry and believe that things are working out the way God wants them to. I pray that the way God wants them to matches how I want them to. lol Then, something happens like a wrench thrown into the mix to appear to mess things up. Am I being tested? When I am rational, I believe I am and that God has things under control. Notice I said when I am rational. lol Sometimes I lose all ration - like you said, have a moment. Usually when this happens it helps me greatly to listen to my favorite christian tunes to get back on track. "Let not our hearts be troubled" is right! Something that should be so easy, is made difficult by myself and most of the time I waste energy worrying for nothing.
ReplyDeleteI'm trusting in the Lord...because my life has shown that only when I have trusted in the Lord have I been able to find peace and we all know that that is what God wants us to have in the first place.
Mrs White
http://bringingfurmanhome.blogspot.com