Monday, February 13, 2012

Vanity, Vanity!





I wanted to link to a good read on this subject that led me to another good one.


From Linda at Wake Up People!


If Solomon had and X-box  (what a great title)
  I think that if Solomon had had an X-box, he might not have had so many wives. He would have been able to distract himself from the fact that nothing in this world matters. That all is vanity and then you die. read on





AHA!

That's part of the angsty stuff that set me off on this whole God journey way back and I see that it keeps coming around. Even when we know the Lord, it comes back once and a while. So much of my interest in the rapture in years past I think plays into this. This world is passing, so what the heck are we doing here? Let's just get outta here already.




She also experienced God sending her in one direction only to bring her back to where she started:


So I was very confused on why the Lord would have me go on an amazing journey out into the wilderness just to have me seemingly go back to the life I left. The point is - the wilderness is not a destination. Just as Jesus did not stay on the cross. It is part of the process - but it not the end of the matter.

That brought to mind Moses and Jacob just off the top of my head. God called them out, sent them away, and then brought them back to where they began. That is something for another day perhaps.


Anyway, that is what my main problem with life was back before God found me. What is the point? I mean you live, you die, and that's it. 

So I hated life, because the work that is worked under the sun was grievous to me; for all is vanity and a chasing after wind. Ecc 2:17


But why are we aware of this vanity? He made it so, so that we would look for Him, search for something more.




for the creature has been made subject to vanity, not of its will, but by reason of him who has subjected [the same], in hope  Romans 8:20


Linda linked to another post by Jacob Israel at A Voice in the Dead Woods.




As vain as all this seems at times, There is HOPE in this knowledge that we have-those of us in Christ presently that






This is a  lengthy, and meaty,  not a quick read, but has a lot of good nuggets.



There is great comfort in knowing that whatever decision you make, or have made, that all of it was exactly what had to happen and had to be. That even your mistakes were necessary for you to learn better. There is great peace in knowing all will be well, regardless of how terrifying things seem to be. We MUST trust that the work that began in us will end in victory. We MUST stop thinking of how wrong everything seems to be and start seeing how great things are going to be. We MUST trust God and be able to live our lives without the fear of failure or ruin. We MUST know that whatever comes upon whether good or bad is a necessary part of the plan and we MUST learn how to praise God in it all. more here




And then it hit me in a new way.  This whole thing is not about us. I know, that is what everyone says, but for a brief passing second, I GOT it.  He does have a plan and everything EVERYTHING (the good, the bad, the ugly- you dig) is part of it.  Even though this isn't about us, but Him, He will bring us into Himself and make us co-heirs to all that is His.... How great is that?


We are in Christ, Christ is being formed is us...



I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.Jhn 17:22



And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.1Cor 15:28



So as we trudge through the day to day knowing all is vain...in THIS state anyhow, we await a new day when all will be anything but.




17 comments:

  1. So simple, and yet so complex....this resting in Jesus is easy, yet our flesh resists resting in Him and makes the easy, hard...this world is all vanity, emptiness, "lipstick on a pig", shiny sparkly glimmer like a sparkly Christmas ornament that is filled with nothing and cuts you if it breaks....which reminds me of a dream....

    When I was a very little girl (I think about 2 or 3 years of age), I remember what I think was a dream (because my mom says it never happened) I saw a beautiful large and bright red Christmas ornament hanging in front of me, and I reached up, took it in my hand... and then bit into it, and then cried from pain, and remember people being distressed all around me, and I was also upset from the pain and blood and the fact that I broke what was so beautiful...

    Maybe I'll post on that one because there's alot there to unpack too, bottom line being the emptiness of what we think is so beautiful and wonderful about what we have here in this wilderness world... and that it bites back when we indulge in it's "glory"...(and notice the similarity of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just wrote out a response and deleted it like a dummy >:( without copying it. It's the second time today that I tried to write a response and couldn't.

      I'll take it as a sign and reorganize my thoughts:)

      Delete
    2. What I was gonna say was that I have been pretty interested in dreams myself lately. I think your interpretation is right on...since I'm such a good dream interpreter lol.

      I think I may be getting some insight into some of mine, too, but I'll hold off on that for now.


      The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the pride of life. All things we have to learn to overcome. Or to rest in His overcoming. It's hard to nail down sometimes.

      I don't think that God never intended the fall, though. It's not as if He's on plan b and cleaning up the mess. I think He knows exactly what He is doing.


      Love not the world or the things in the world...love your neighbor. They seem like contradictory statements, but they have to work together somehow.

      I'm rambling:P

      Delete
  2. "Berry interestin'," as you once said. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He does have a plan and everything EVERYTHING (the good, the bad, the ugly- you dig) is part of it. Even though this isn't about us, but Him, He will bring us into Himself and make us co-heirs to all that is His.... How great is that?" Those 'brief passing seconds' just make me jump, nay, somersault! :-)

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love brief passing seconds of understanding. They kind of float by like a cloud and then are gone, but leave an impression.

      Delete
  4. thanks for linking to my site Ma. There is some peace knowing that all Isreal will be saved, our children will be saved, our unbelieving boss will be saved, every one in their own order. What an amazing loving and merciful Father we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always write so well, Linda, and I really can identify with your searching for God. It does seem like the more answers we think we get the more questions pop up. I do believe its inexhaustible.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning to trust and let him lead the way....the more I let go...the happier I am.
    As always great post Ma!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ma, this subject really gets us to thinking outside our small physical world around us. How many come the place where they realize that "This whole thing is not about us"? And who doesn't come to the place where they ask, as you did: "What is the point? I mean you live, you die, and that's it."? God has the ability and power to have us skip this life on planet Earth and form us directly into Heaven, so What on earth am I here for? Victory is not here, but in glorification with the Lord, so is there a purpose? Yes, it's about Him! We were born into history, in this time and place for a wonderful purpose: to love God and love our neighbor with joy! The Lord providence is always in our life. May we rejoice in life and thankfully count our blessings. Deuteronomy 8:10-14a tells us "When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which He has given you. “Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today, lest—when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwell in them; and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied; when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the Lord your God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thinking of you live and die and that's it was mine before the Lord found me. After that, I have been trying to find the ways to please Him and wandering in and out of religiousy stuff.

      Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.


      Thank you so much for reading and your great comments.

      Delete
  8. Well, I think you got it right!!! The angst and uncertainty of life does not seem to affect us as much when we realize that it is not about US!!! Not about what we want or how we look or feel. there has been much controversy as to whether Solomon really wrote this book, many people think it was someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that people doubted Solomon wrote some of these. That is disappointing, but I guess it really doesn't matter. It's still very good stuff preserved for us.

      I'm not as angsty as I used to be, but I have my moments:)

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..