I was thinking about some of the ways I have learned to make Christmas gatherings a smooth(er) thing.
Things I wish I would have been doing all along, but hey- live and learn.
We usually have three or four Christmas gatherings per December with our extended family. All of these are at places other than home, so all the goodies have to be packed up and taken with us. This seems like it would be pretty simple, but it is surprisingly not.
1.) Bring bags! I found the large shopping bags work well. I try not to bring trash bags in fear of getting them mixed up with trash in the clean up process. As the kids get older I have started to give them their own bag to carry their own stuff.
2.) Try to keep them from opening every single little plastic accessory until getting home.....if possible.
3.) Don't be too quick to toss the box and instructions to something. I found this out firsthand this past weekend. Hold onto the things needed to return an item at least until you are sure it works.
Everyone must have a Sharpie at all times. I now have one that has made a home in my purse so I'll never be without one.
These are a great way to mark identical gifts or most importantly, plastic drinking cups.
When the kids get their first drink at these things, I mark their cup and that cuts way back on the get-a-new-cup-every-ten-minutes thing.
Also a routine for us is to decide about 1/2 hour out when we are going to be leaving. It's then time to gather, I make sure everyone goes to the bathroom and the Mr. starts loading the car.
Last but not least, in the hustle and bustle we should all try not to forget to say thank you. To thank the hosts, not only for the gifts, but all the planning and preparation that goes into hosting. They spend a great deal of thought and possibly expense, and we should show our gratitude!
I hope you all have a great Christmas weekend and that we can show the light that is within us to those who may not know that LIGHT yet!
I would love to hear your tips.
Things I wish I would have been doing all along, but hey- live and learn.
We usually have three or four Christmas gatherings per December with our extended family. All of these are at places other than home, so all the goodies have to be packed up and taken with us. This seems like it would be pretty simple, but it is surprisingly not.
1.) Bring bags! I found the large shopping bags work well. I try not to bring trash bags in fear of getting them mixed up with trash in the clean up process. As the kids get older I have started to give them their own bag to carry their own stuff.
| I haven't stepped foot in a Toys 'R Us in years, my MIL gave me this bag. |
2.) Try to keep them from opening every single little plastic accessory until getting home.....if possible.
3.) Don't be too quick to toss the box and instructions to something. I found this out firsthand this past weekend. Hold onto the things needed to return an item at least until you are sure it works.
SHARPIES!!
| Perhaps the greatest thing since sliced bread |
Everyone must have a Sharpie at all times. I now have one that has made a home in my purse so I'll never be without one.
These are a great way to mark identical gifts or most importantly, plastic drinking cups.
When the kids get their first drink at these things, I mark their cup and that cuts way back on the get-a-new-cup-every-ten-minutes thing.
Also a routine for us is to decide about 1/2 hour out when we are going to be leaving. It's then time to gather, I make sure everyone goes to the bathroom and the Mr. starts loading the car.
Last but not least, in the hustle and bustle we should all try not to forget to say thank you. To thank the hosts, not only for the gifts, but all the planning and preparation that goes into hosting. They spend a great deal of thought and possibly expense, and we should show our gratitude!
I hope you all have a great Christmas weekend and that we can show the light that is within us to those who may not know that LIGHT yet!
I would love to hear your tips.
Great tips, Ma....good idea about the sharpies! I hate waste, and it also helps the host with less garbage later.
ReplyDeleteThe "thank you" last but not least. You'd think it is common sense...yes...but when you are tired and have all those children to round up etc, I can see that it can be said half-heartedly (not intentionally, but like I said, everyone's tired)...but like you say, the host put alot of effort into it all, so, a heart-felt thank you is the least one can do :)
Good ideas!
ReplyDeleteSusan,
ReplyDeleteIt IS tiring, I was so totally worn out after this last weekend..it's weird.
My mom even had candy placed all around her house and little treats for the kids to find...so sweet. I don't think I did thank her properly.
Thanks Gretchen:)
What great tips!!! I always follow the one about keeping the box and receipt, at least till we know it works. And we need to always keep the directions, unless the thing is very simple. The Sharpie tip is a good one!!! I have some, but really don't know what to do with them!! Merry Christmas to you, I hope you have a week full of love, family, fun and peace!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ginny,
ReplyDeleteI would like to hear some of your tips!
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well:)
Hi Ma, sounds like your Christmas is blooming! Joy all around to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteI love the bring-your-own-bags idea and Sharpies are essential, don't know how I got by without them before!
No tip, but I did want to wish you a Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteFunny how the natural cycle of life changes based upon the age of our kids. Now that our are grown, this "pack up and go" routine has become pleasantly simplified ... like before we had kids. Still i miss the old hustle & bustle days. Someday, grandchildren will start the cycle for our boys and we will wave to them from the front door. Thank you for your prayer for those who do not know the Lord to see the light of Christ and come to a "saving" knowledge of the Savior of the world. Merry Christmas.
ReplyDeletemusemater,
ReplyDeleteI've always been a Sharpie fanatic:) Back when I waited tables, I always had one too. It was essential. We only have one more party tonight.
DebbieLynne,
Thank you! Merry Christmas to you too.
Brian,
I do remember how easy it was to go and do before the kids. But I know I'll miss the hustle and bustle one day. Merry Christmas:)
Great tips…I especially love the one about the Sharpies as we consistently have problems keeping up with people's drinking cups!
ReplyDeleteHello there His bondservant, thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI don't have any tips for going away, but what I do do, is any left over cold meats like ham/chicken/turkey...I put in small zip-lock bags and then in the freezer.From last year I used the last lot in September. That was the smoked/cured ham. It was still perfectly good to eat.
ReplyDeleteI put in enough for a couple of sandwiches or helpings for 2 people.
If I need more I get out 2 bags...works well for me! Don't like wasting good meat of any kind...
Yaddy
Hi yaddy,
ReplyDeleteGood tips! I don't like waste either. I will be going through my fridge to make sure things get frozen in time;)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes a little nuts over a package of Sharpies. Happy New Year!
ReplyDelete