Monday, November 8, 2010

EarthShips - It's not what it Sounds Like

While listening to The Byte Show recently, Michael Cox who runs a survival and solar systems website (survivalsolarsystems.com) was the guest. He mentioned these houses and I had to check it out.

I love the thought of using things that would normally be thrown out and make something really unique and lasting out of them. I am generally very frugal (downright cheap perhaps at times) and I hate throwing things out.

Check these out, they are really neat looking and are supposed to cost almost nothing to run. Wouldn't that be something? A dream house indeed!



7 comments:

  1. My brother lived in Dolen Springs, Arizona for many years, and their was a family that lived in a home hewn out of the rock maountain-side. The inside was constructed as any home interior, but lacked many windows. The living space maintained a steady comfortable temporature year round in the hash desert winter cold and summer heat. No tires, bottles or cans either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful, except for the lack of windows;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Australia we have a mining town called "Lightning Ridge" Opals mainly. They nearly all live underground as it gets very hot there,,,,no airconditioner needed the temp is a static "always cool" there are also houses there made of other stuff....We went through a house that had all the walls made from bottled held into place with concrete. Glass bottles worked much the same as glass bricks, which cost a lot, bottles were free and you can't see through them so the light comes in but still private....very interesting....I even found a miniscule tiny opal....so was quite thrilled to have gone!lol
    Bless you....Yaddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yaddy,

    I love glass bottles and have hoarded several for "a rainy day" whatever that could possibly be:P I should build something with them!

    I have a sister living in New Zealand, I know its not Australia...but for some reason you always make me think of her:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that certainly takes recycling to the next level! LOL!
    Very ingenious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing this. I emailed it to my boyfriend (he's been house/land shopping for us so we can get married :) ). Hehe. It's such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be so cool to do this! If we had a chance to start over, I would definitely look into it. We are where we are, though.

    Please let me know if he's game, I'd love to know someone who has one of these:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome..