Thursday, September 12, 2013

Entering the Internet



London Bridge is safe and sound
No matter what you keep repeating...

Baby Britain-Elloitt Smith



In 2007 I began to become pretty obsessed with the end and all things of the end and the new world order, conspiracy theories and the like and looked for the fulfillment of prophecies in the headlines every day.


Stock Market Down 1000 Points (woohoo!)
Mudslide in China  (another sign of the times!)
Food Prices at Their Highest Levels (right out of Revelation, cool)



I know how awful I must sound, but on some level, if Jesus is coming back when all the bad stuff goes down, then the bad stuff has to go down, you know? I was caught in a mix of trying to live my life, yet hoping that the world really was getting that bad. I wanted to go and be with Jesus more than anything.



I had missed out on the whole 9/11 conspiracy thing initially, being not being prophetically minded at the time it happened, but I caught up with all the stuff I missed. I started reading a lot of end times and prophecy sites and blogs and watching a lot of YouTube videos. I was like a kid at a candy store and didn't know where to start.


I was completely new to the socializing aspect of the web and joined an end times forum where there were many like minded people and it was great fun. We discussed the signs of the times and current events, speculated on when the end would come, but there was also great theological debates going on every day.




Pre, post, or mid trib rapture?
Once saved always saved or not?
The Antichrist probably is....
Do we have to keep the Law of Moses or not ?

Wait, I have to comment on that last one.


There was one particularly "vocal" member of this group who insisted that we did have to keep all the Mosaic law to the best of our ability, including the dietary laws and feasts.  He said that the Apostle Paul was a false prophet and that Christianity in it's modern form was apostate. It was crazy to me and he drove me   nuts.  Frankly, he drove most of the people on the board nuts, and he and I had many a theological duel. I felt sorry for him that he was so legalistically minded. I mean he actually thought that we could keep the law for salvation.  He did make me think, though, many of his arguments were right out of the bible.  It gave me a great incentive to dig into the scriptures more and try to put the pieces together. Although I was sure that he was totally wrong, he did say things that unsettled  me and stuck in ways that would come back later in my studies.



I made some connections with people that would last for years, searched out different points of view and found out things I would have never known or known to look for otherwise. It was a great time. My husband and I around the same time had started a forum of our own with only a couple of regular members posting. He was trying to do something to reach out socially, but he's just not (social) and lost interest pretty quickly. I was the one running it...not that there was much to run. We shut it down after a year and that's when I started the blog instead. I am so grateful for the access we have to information, it really is amazing.



Armed with the entire world of knowledge literally at my fingertips, I felt like I could get down to the nitty gritty of the faith, the bible, the real truth. I wanted to be able to defend it to others, myself, give an answer to the hope I had that was not purely subjective. I wanted it to be ironclad.



<previous part


next part>


8 comments:

  1. I have two friends that are constantly preparing for some kind of national chaos...I wonder if they are happy about how they feel or are they scared? Thanks for this insight.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably both.

      I was happy that I thought Jesus was coming soon, but scared that I may have to be persecuted or something like that.

      Delete
  2. So all this time, were you attending a church? believe that lots of study is a GOOD thing, but that we should not make it the most important thing, we need to be kind and help others and focus on our actions with the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ginny and no, we were between churches at the time.

      Delete
  3. "I wanted it to be ironclad."

    I can relate to feeling like that when I was younger. I did not realize then that it was because of my insecurities. These past years I have enjoyed growing in the gray - especially with regard to the bible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been really interesting... just waiting to see how it ends up to jump in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be awhile till I'm done, but I did give away the ending (pretty much) here.



      A Note to my Readers

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome..